help!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
help!!!

ok i fixed my little electrical shut down i had last night... went to a ride a little bit ago and it just died. it started back up but i had to hold the throttle wide open to get it to barely run. the front cylinder was the only 1 runnin and it was blowin black smoke. what could it be????

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Coil shot (or not getting power) for the rear cylinder??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
i checked for spark... its getting spark. must be a carb prob. im gonna try to lean the front out and see what else i can do

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Before you lean the front carb, you should ensure the rear is supplying the proper amount of fuel to the rear cylinder. If the bike was running fine before, I doubt the front carb went suddenly rich. It sounds more like a plugged jet or possibly a stuck float in the rear carb to me. I know these sound opposite each other but if the rear jug is starved for fuel it won't fire and if it's flooded, it also won't fire and that would account for the black smoke.
You could also read your plugs to see if the rear cylinder is flooded or fuel starved as well.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Open the drain on the rear carb see if you get any fuel out of it. Then try to start it and drain it again to double check that it is refilling w/ fuel. Each carb has it's own fuel line from the petcock. If it has a plugged diaphram or fuel line it won't get fuel. This is unlikely to happen--but never rule anything out.

You could also remove the rear fuel line from the carb and place it in a jar while cranking it over. If it's not plugged and the diaphram is ok, it will fill the jar with fuel slowly. The diaphram opens to allow fuel only when the bike is cranking over or running. When you remove the fuel line--if you get fuel running out of the line with the bike off and not cranking then you have a bad diaphram (petcock) that is allowing fuel to fill up the carb and flood it, since the diaphram failed to close off the fuel supply.
Just something to check before you attempt a PIA carb removal. Also try tapping lightly on the side of the rear carb to jar the float if it is stuck. It's best to use a 3/8" or 1/2" extension and a hammer. Just tap it on both sides in a couple of places. It should jar the float free if it is stuck. This may temporarily fix it or not at all.
If you pull the plugs on the rear and they are wet--DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RE-USE THEM--THROW THEM AWAY (or put them somewhere to dry for several days normally to re-use later). Fouled plugs never work well again if you try them right away. Especially if you have a flooding problem. Turn the fuel off. With the plugs out keep the plug wires away from the cylinders (and you) and crank the bike over to remove the access fuel in the cylinder (you can pull the front wires off to if you like--this will prevent it from trying to fire). Remember keep the plug wires away from the open cylinder--fuel will be coming out of there! Tuck them away on the frame or under the tank. Don't stand next to the cylinder and don't look at either unless you want to get covered in fuel. You may have to do this several times to get it all out. Don't touch the throttle. When you are sure the fuel is no longer spraying out then you can replace the plugs and wires and turn the fuel back on and crank it over till she starts. If it the float is no longer stuck then it should run fairly good. Take it for a spin around the block and see how it's running. If it seems to be running good take it for a short ride. Bring it back home and go try it again in an hour or so.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

ok i took the plugs out to see if they were still sparking after i adjusted the air fuel mixture. they were soaked so i cleaned them and tested for spark. the rear right plug wasnt firing correctly, i put a new 1 in and did a few more adjustments and its running good now... gonna take it out again in an hour. thanx for your help racohoon

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement