keeps dying after 20 miles - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:47 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
I have carb parts if you need them
Obrigado

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Dear guy with 13 whole posts here. POOGS is not the same thing as vapor lock.

Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult.

POOGS is caused by a block in the gas tank vent that keeps fuel from
flowing properly into the carb bowls. Basicly the same thing as putting your finger over the end of a straw keeping liquid from flowing out the end.
NOT the same thing.
ad homemin ? is that how we do things around here?

i used to have trouble with the vent hose and when i would say "poogs" people just looked at me funny so i just started saying vapor lock. it seems like a colloquial term for this site. it doesnt matter what you name something if no one knows what youre talking about.

i have an update though. got the bike back to my house and got everything apart. the rings around needles are gone due the the fuel cleaner i put in the tank. i did notice some divots there the needle sits on the float tang. i also put the floats in warm water and notices very small bubbles forming on one of the floats. i'm going to order new floats and gaskets and i think that should fix it.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbutz View Post
i have an update though. got the bike back to my house and got everything apart. the rings around needles are gone due the the fuel cleaner i put in the tank. i did notice some divots there the needle sits on the float tang. i also put the floats in warm water and notices very small bubbles forming on one of the floats. i'm going to order new floats and gaskets and i think that should fix it.
Make sure the float needles are in the right way... I was working on a Honda Rebel that would die shortly after running and the float needle was in upside down... The pencil tip end should face up into the carb, not down on the float

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 AM

I've been there. The problem is absolutely that it's running rich. Don't worry about vapor lock or venting. When the bike is cold it accepts the rich mixture but once it's warm it will die right away. The key is the ability to fire with pull throttle.

Unfortunate there no way to fix this with the carbs on the bike. In my case the plastic tip of the needles were worn away from too many additives.

-Robert
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

i just replaced the floats and needles. polished the needle seats and adjusted the floats according to the manual. it is still doing the same thing but in a shorter time. it wont idle and after a couple of minutes of holding the throttle open it starts stumbling then slowly loses power and dies. the spark plugs are not wet. soo back to square 1?
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbutz View Post
i just replaced the floats and needles. polished the needle seats and adjusted the floats according to the manual. it is still doing the same thing but in a shorter time. it wont idle and after a couple of minutes of holding the throttle open it starts stumbling then slowly loses power and dies. the spark plugs are not wet. soo back to square 1?
There is an easy procedure to check fuel level on the center stand. It is in the manual. If the fuel level is too high, it is definitely a problem. It will come down to floats and needle/seats.

I don't know about 'polishing' the needle seat. Most people I know are afraid to do more than SLOWLY clean them. I like to test n/s with a mityvac/vacuum, before i put them back on.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

the front carb is just under 2 mm above the top of the screw. the rear is 3 mm below the top of the screw. slightly out of spec according to the manual. is it safe to assume that the adjustments i make with float tang will directly correlate with the fuel level reading? i did this test ealier today but i didnt trust my findings because on the rear one after i opened the drain plug it would go to a certain level and then after a few seconds rise a few inches higher. i suppose i could attribute that to a fouled needle seat. this time they stayed level for the duration of the test.

Last edited by lordbutz; 06-18-2014 at 01:47 AM.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

so i bent the tang on the rear float up 3 mm. it would hardly fit in the bowl and there was no room for the needle to open. anyone know how to calculate the adjustments for this? in the manual it makes it seem like a trial and error thing. unless i missed something.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

3mm the float is like half a hair on the tang like if you rotate your shoulder 5 degrees at the base with your arm fully extended then the tips of your fingers have moved a lot more distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

i cut a sliver of a tape measure out and had it places between the tang and float arms. if i understand your analogy correctly are you saying the point of measurement is the tip of the float opposite of the tang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement