project bike (gonna take alot of work) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

project bike (gonna take alot of work)

good evening everyone! could anybody give me a little insight on how much power the vn750 has? My brother just bought a 07 vstar 650 and it seems to have pretty good power. I've only ridden dirt bikes and his 650 is the first street bike that i have ridden. (caught the fever and bought this vn750 that has been sitting for 5 years for 50 bucks in hopes of getting it running again) I don't have enough money to buy a bike that is already in running order!! I used to be a cadillac technician so I have some mechanical experience and I am really looking forward to tinkering with this bike! just so long as it is a proven good machine. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. this site is great I look forward to aggrevating everyone with questions and concerns!!lol!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
well i raced a 1540cc harley and a 1400cc harley and ate em both up so if that says anything

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
btw when i raced the 1400 he was ahead till he hit 120... then i passed :P

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

cool! thanks for the reply oglejust. I am really looking forward to working on this bike. but even though my bike is not running (no spark at any plugs) I still feel like i bought it off the showroom floor and am itching to get it going and listening to those twins humm!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

by the way that is one good looking bike! I like what you did with the seat. I'll probably be riding solo most of the time so the backrest and seat were the first things thrown into my junk pile!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the site! You'll find loads of good info and helpful people here. Does the bike start at all? Or is it just sitting like a lump? I think my first thing on the "To Do" list would be to replace the battery with a maintenace-free one and see if you get any spark at all. Maybe it's just me, but even if the bike's running just a little, you'll have a better idea of what might need to be cleaned/replaced, why the bike stopped running in the first place (unless that was an operator problem!), etc.

The long version of the above is to just do a complete teardown and cleaning, see what gaskets need to be replaced, check all of your electrical connections, etc. Sounds like you know your way around an engine, so I imagine the only real difficulty may be getting the carbs out of the block (and back in again) and dealing with the rear ignition coil (small spaces).

Some of us paid a bit more than that for our project bikes, so for $50, you can't go wrong!

C
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

your right cindy I thought $5o bucks was a good deal even though the bike was not running! did i mention the guy also delivered the bike?! I even did a vin check and the bike was not reported stolen. so if i can get spark and get the bike running I have to go through the state of alabama lost title process. (that should be fun!!) I am new to the site but I have read alot of your threads and with the shape this bike is in I believe they will be helpful!! the only thing I don't understand (keep in mind this is my first street bike project)is why the parts are soo expensive for a bike that was in production for 21 years!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

IMHO, blame the high cost of those parts on the industry. Each manufacturer has a monopoliy over it products, and seems like none of 'em are interchangeable. so unlike walking into AutoZone andlooking up your airfilter size, invariably you have to order it.Plus, there aer sooooo many small aprts that can head south on you, and most shops aren't willing to keep that kind of contingent inventory around. in my dreams, I'd have a shop with a large stock fo the msot-needed items, smaller stock of the "frequiently needed," and a limited stock fo the "on occasion." However, that would have to be almost exclusive to the VN 750, since the 800, 900, 1500 are all different.

Clearly there's a niche market - it's just is it in the cards for Kaw, or has HD taken over that honor?

The best place to look for used parts is on eBay or here on the Forum. Many of us seem to accumulate all kinds of things "that may come in handy later." So a shout-out here is probabyl your first tactic, followed by eBay leads. No sense paying full price!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to TheBoy
Have fun with your project. Getting it running wont be to much of a problem, and tunning it wont be that bad. But making it your own might take awhile and be even more expensive.
If you are looking for parts, you can always ask around here. I know almost every one has airboxes sitting around there garage! Ebay can be a good spot too, i have found alot of parts for mine on there.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

I don't have the handbook just to hand but I THINK THE vn750 IS RATED AROUND 84 BHP. The twin cams, twin spark plugs & 4 valves per cylinder plus lots of good engineering give the Vulcan a layer on the top end that comparable bikes don't have. Take note that Oglejust's bike has been modified and is poking out a bit more power than the stock bike - which would be just about out of breath at 120.
I don't know how it is in the US but I have noticed that the vstars/ dragstars hold their prices better than even a bike like the Vulcan - they command a good extra 1000 - and that pounds not dollars. I see them around and they look like nice bikes but I think the Vulcan handles better and has more on the top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement