Got to make riding 2 up more comfortable! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Got to make riding 2 up more comfortable!

After riding for a season I really love the VN750, but.... if I can't do something to make riding 2 up more comfortable it's gonna have to get replaced. Which will be difficult since my tastes in styling (retro looks... old), weight (under 600 lbs please) and features (liquid cooled/shaft drive) don't seem to match much of what the manufacturers are building these days. But all the seats on new bikes that we've tried are a LOT roomier.

So...will either the Mustang or Corbin seats give us more front to back room when riding 2 up? I'm 5'10" 190 and my wife 5' 140, and on the stock seat I'm always getting pushed forward resulting in significant discomfort.

Mustang's 10 day return guarantee suggests I should just try it and see for myself. But Mustang's web site doesn't list the VN750 as available currently.

And as for Corbin, are my eyes playing tricks or did their price just drop from $699 to $499? Has anyone bought there recently?

Might highway pegs help? It seems like that leg position might make it easier to keep my butt (and hers) back in the saddle, but I've never ridden a bike with pegs. One suggestion a while back was passenger floorboards. Any other ideas?

I don't want to sell. It's a great bike and it's in the garage paid for. Besides, I lubed the splines and we should be good to go for another 5K or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I got a Corbin seat, My wife said it did not mak a difference on the room she had.
I did not see a difference eather with her on.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Old Fart

Garage
None of the aftermarket seats will give you more room front to back...The only thing that will help you here is to teach your passenger to use their legs to keep themselves pushed back on their seat when braking...and this is not always a help.
If you want a good comfortable two up bike, the 750 just ain't it. I got a FJR to solve this...you sound like more of a Vulcan 900 kind of guy, or the Susuki
C50T.
As comfortable as I made my 750 with a real tall backrest, passenger boards and grab rails, it just was not as comfortable for two as a larger bike. Now with passenger boards on the FJR and the passenger backrest on the trunk..I don't even know my wife is sitting back there sometimes....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
i cut a stock seat down to give me more room... the passenger doesnt have as much but i like it lol

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
85 VN 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
None of the aftermarket seats will give you more room front to back...The only thing that will help you here is to teach your passenger to use their legs to keep themselves pushed back on their seat when braking...and this is not always a help.

KM
While you're right, KM, the mustang seat does not give more room front to back - it makes it FEEL as if you have more room. I'm a big boy - my wife's got a bit of a ghetto booty - and riding 2 up with the stock seat was miserable. With the mustang it's actually pretty darn comfortable. It FEELS like we each have more room - and the seat kinda grabs ya but and makes ya stay rather than slide...

That said - the mustang is unfortunately no longer made - so you'll have to wait for one on ebay, here, or at the Y! group. You might be better off with a bigger bike if you plan on riding 2 up lots (even with the mustang I wouldn't take a cross country trip 2 up on the bike).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:13 PM

stock seat w/backrest

I added the Kawasaki high back rest to help my passengers out (three daughters) They all said it helped, but didn't do anything for the seat space. One of my girls is 4'9" and she says it just right for her.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm uncomfortable with anyhting more than a SMALL child on mine. I've riden one teenager and NO adults.

It is possible and some here do it, but IMO this is not a 2 up bike.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 AM

You know, with all of the tribal knowledge in here, and all of the experimental wizardy that people have tried doing this or that, after reading this line of posting and replies it just struck me as surprising that there hasn't been some enterprising individual manufacturing a 2 to 3 inch extension rearward of the factory seat. That's all it would take, just a few inches.
I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to fabricate something like that? Think of the marketing potential.....
I would 100% buy something like that if the looks were good.
Any "McGyver's" out there that has given this a try or is willing to try doing it???
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 AM

Forward Controls for the driver, and peg extentions for the rear.
This alows for the driver to slide forward a bit without fealing crouded and the peg extenions give the passanger the leverage they nead to hold themsalfs back in the seat.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 AM

LL&P, it is possible to do this, but the cost of manufacturing extended side rails and longer saddle would place the cost in the 600-700 dollar and up range.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery