Coolant leak in a baaad place! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Coolant leak in a baaad place!

On the right side of the bike (if you were sitting on it) where the engine case meets the front cylinder jug, I have coolant leaking through the main gasket. It just barely drips when the coolant system is under pressure.

So obviously, the only way to fix this is to pull the motor and replace the gasket between the case and the cylinder jug, but if I pull the motor and get into that far, why the hell wouldn't I just rebuild it?

The thing is, the bike is an 86 that sat it's WHOLE life, when I got it in late 2012 it had 3700 miles on it. I'm willing to bet now that I'm coming up on 10,000 miles all those gaskets and rubber parts that had dried out from sitting it's whole life are all on their way to failure, as well as the gasket that is giving me trouble.

Today I went and looked at a '99 a family friend owns, it's in great shape, and he only wants 1500 for it. I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy it so I'm not without a bike this season. I have a lot of trips planned.

The question is do I rebuild the old one? Or do I try to get rid of it for cheap? It NEEDS a rebuild to be worth anything to anyone. Is it going to be worth the trouble? I've watched a lot of Andrew Roth's videos and I'm pretty sure I could do it. Idk guys I need your guidance lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuvoc View Post
On the right side of the bike (if you were sitting on it) where the engine case meets the front cylinder jug, I have coolant leaking through the main gasket. It just barely drips when the coolant system is under pressure.

So obviously, the only way to fix this is to pull the motor and replace the gasket between the case and the cylinder jug, but if I pull the motor and get into that far, why the hell wouldn't I just rebuild it?

The thing is, the bike is an 86 that sat it's WHOLE life, when I got it in late 2012 it had 3700 miles on it. I'm willing to bet now that I'm coming up on 10,000 miles all those gaskets and rubber parts that had dried out from sitting it's whole life are all on their way to failure, as well as the gasket that is giving me trouble.

Today I went and looked at a '99 a family friend owns, it's in great shape, and he only wants 1500 for it. I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy it so I'm not without a bike this season. I have a lot of trips planned.

The question is do I rebuild the old one? Or do I try to get rid of it for cheap? It NEEDS a rebuild to be worth anything to anyone. Is it going to be worth the trouble? I've watched a lot of Andrew Roth's videos and I'm pretty sure I could do it. Idk guys I need your guidance lol

Go for It ! Great (winter ?) project which seems/sounds like you would enjoy !
Do it To It !
...with so few miles, I might expect mainly/only gasket replacement.
Valve Cover (molded rubber) gaskets are expensive, but few replace them ....when removed carefully.
oh, DO REPLACE THE BALANCE DAMPERS ! ($45.00)...beware, the Balance Gear Bolt is the only LH thead-ed bolt on bike.
enjoy

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 05-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Ndr

At this point, If you were looking to buy your friends bike, I would just keep and run that and hang onto your original for spare parts.

Break it down and shove it in a closet somewhere?

But as WilliamTech stated, most of the internal components probably wouldn't need replaced. You'd be looking at the gaskets, the most expensive of which are the head gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. (which might not even need replaced if your careful to put them back on the same head)

The balance dampers should definitely get replaced. As well as a handful of washers and o-rings.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

Last edited by Ndr; 05-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

PM sent

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Or just deal with a little coolant leaking depending on how much. Slap some red gasket sealer or even a dab of JB weld over it and see if that slows it.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement