Alcohol And Driving - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Alcohol And Driving

Heres the thing.
There is a discussion in my motorclub here in Panama.
I recently submitted the motion that it should be prohibited to drink and drive for the club members, at least during our group activities/trips.
It was a real royal rumble!!!
Of course it went to voting and the motion won by 70% Vs. 25%, the rest didnt voted.
Our group actually has 75 members, and I preside the security comission.
Can you guys give me your thoughts about it please?
I just wannna know how do you manage that issue out there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Well, technically drinking and driving is against the law not only a bad idea.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM

I agree with you...

Drinking and driving don't mix. I lost my sister in law to a multi-convicted DUI offender so I'm against it.

The last two road runs I went on the riders started drinking by 10 AM so I turned arround and came home. These were Harley riders BTW.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM

I practice a zero toloerance policy when it comes to drinking and riding my vulcan.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Its also aganist the law here. And Im totally opposed to drinking and driving.
But its a wrong image created by past tense hardcore bike drivers.
Its like if you have to get a tattoo and a goatie because you ride a bike.
Dont get me wrong, I like, tattoos, beers, women, rock, and motorcycles, but you wont see me drunk-driving, or disrespecting women anywhere.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
85 VN 700

I'm zero tolerance when it comes to drinking and driving/riding ANYTHING.

I'm so anal that even if I've had 1/4 a beer I won't drive/ride - not worth the risk of that teeny bit of delayed reaction time - or the "what if that's what caused it" bit.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I, as well, am by no means a tea totaller, but I cringe when I go to the large bike rallies like Daytona and Sturgis and see all of the drinking and riding. In Sturgis this year, I was in my Hotels lounge at the end of another great day of riding throughout the Black Hills, enjoying a Grey Goose Martini and listening to a local Rapid City singer's almost intolerable rendition of a Jimmy Buffet song. In walked some guys that started ordering Jaeger Bombs and in the time in took me to get only half way thru my Martini, they were already on "bomb" number seven. I wasn't too concerned for I assumed they were off the bikes for the day as I was but still had to ask one of the guys how many of those they could drink. He proudly exclaimed that the night before, they were at The Buffalo Chip for the ZZ Top concert and had done 20 a piece! Now, The Buffalo Chip is just north of Sturgis and about a 30 mile ride back to our Hotel in Rapid City on I-90. How they made it back is amazing to me and this is not that out of the ordinary as all of the Bars on Main and Lazelle Streets are packed all day and all night long during the Rally. I heard on the radio on the way home that there were 5 motocyclist deaths up there this year which is an amazingly low figure with all the booze flying around. I guess some folks just have a higher tolerance level.........

Stevie D.
Chicago
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

I have no tolerance for somebody that drinks and drives. Everybody knows it's stupid, there is no excuse. If you're drunk just wait to sober up before you go home, or better yet, DON'T TAKE YOUR BIKE IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK! Friggin walk if you have to. I never feel sorry for those that loose their own life to their drinking and driving, i do how ever try and donate to charities that help familys hurt by drunk drivers when I can. Such as MADD and the like. That's what these guys forget, they get drunk and crash and hurt they hurt themselfs big whup, that's called personal responsibility. But most don't realise that their bike can eaisly bust through the door of any late model car out there, even the slider door of a mini van full of kids. Life is too short to hurt others with our stupidity.

You are a smart man, i hope your club respects you for it. =)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
I'm zero tolerance when it comes to drinking and driving/riding ANYTHING.
No tolerence for drinking and riding / driving. Little to no tolerance for drinking at all.

I would not want to be a part of a club that WOULD allow drinking and driving.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I used to work in brain injury rehab - I won't touch a drop of alcohol and drive anything: I'm not afraid of dying, but more worried about being revived on the scene and living the lives that I saw. No way. Ever.

The first MSF course instructor I had - a former Vietnam helicopter pilot - abided by the book when he told us not to drink and ride; and then he prompty told us about going out "for no more than 2 beers" if he was on his moto. I didn't listen to anything else he said - we had a lot of young kids in the class and that was the wrong message.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement