Trading in the 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Trading in the 750

It's happened. My wife is ready for a new, bigger bike. Even with seat mods and other ergonomic measures, she can't ride the 750 for more than an hour or so without her butt killing her. It was a great bike to learn on and is a fun ride, but not real good for longer treks, at least for her. I've been riding it, and just feel like I'm riding a kids bicycle, with my knees up near my chin, lol.

She's been riding my Suzuki C50 the last week and after some initial apprehension, has decided she likes the comfort and handling. We've been out shopping the last 2 days and the list looks like this so far:

VStar 1100 Classic
Vulcan 1500
Vulcan 900 Classic
C50T- I object to this one since we already have a C50, if thats the case, let ME get the new bike and she can have mine!

Checking out some of the 1100-1300 range Honda's today. Anything bigger- Vulcan 1600, C90, Roadstar, she can't flatfoot so those are out of contention. Sad, because that Vulcan 1600 is a sweet ride and I really wanted one in the garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
She if she can flat foot a Menastreak. Seat is lower than the other 1600's.
You'll wind up stealing it every chance you get.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Looked at the Meanstreak. She can flat foot it but neither of us like the reaching forward position the bars put you in.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Looked at the Meanstreak. She can flat foot it but neither of us like the reaching forward position the bars put you in.
That's too bad. It's perfect riding position for me. Took just a little getting used to, but now I am hooked. Put a small windshield on since this picture.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM

I vote you stick with Ma Kaw, the 900 is a great bike, a little more power thsn your C-50 and it will run with 1100's and the 1500 is bullet proof, if you by a leftover they can be bought dirt cheap(the 1500 that is)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Look real hard at the Honda Shadow Spirit with the 1100cc engine.

You can spend more money, but you won't buy a more reliable motorcycle.

The stock seat is very comfortable on long trips. And the bike has very generous amounts of lean angle on both sides (note that this is NOT the case with the new Vulcan 900)--especially for a cruiser.

The 1100 also has plenty of power for high-speed cruising, while touring.

This is the same 1100 Shadow that has been in production since 1987, except for some minor changes, and an upgrade to a 5-speed tranny.

It's not as sporty as the VN750, but the ride is more plush.

In any case, good luck with your hunt.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM

I hope you get to take a 1500 for a ride. The 1500's and 1600's are sweet rides. Jon, your Meanie is one sweet looking bike! Such a cool color. Glad you're enjoying it.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

The decision has been made. She went to another dealer today up by where she works and sat on just about everything- the Honda 1100 series, Vulcan 1500, various Yamaha's. Narrowed it down to 2- V Star 1100, and Vulcan 1500.

Tonight we went to the closer dealer who had a used V Star 1100 we had been checking out, and a used Vulcan 1500 we could test ride.

My wife REALLY liked the 1100. We were thinking, forget about the used one, the new one isn't that much more and has much better financing. Until she rode it! I was amazed when we got back from the ride (I rode the 1100 1st, her on the 1500, then we swapped) and she said she liked the 1500 better. Which was great for me, as that's the bike I wanted all along! She said she was worried it'd be too big, but it felt great. I didn't say anything to her till we got back from riding both, but to me, the V Star felt like a toy. I ride a Suzuki C50, which is an 805cc bike, and it feels like a much bigger bike than the 1100. I tried a full lock, low speed turn, and the handlebar hit my knee before full lock. You felt like you sat on top of it, not in it like the C50. I can't imagine a 500 mile cruise on it.

On the 1500, we got out to the main highway, I hit 3rd gear, nailed the throttle, and blew by her like she was standing still. 30 to 70 in the blink of an eye, and the bike felt like it was not even breathing hard.

The dealer didn't have the color we want (the '07 blue/titanium), so they are procuring one for us and it should be in by Saturday. They gave us $4200 for her 06 VN750. Not the best price, but not bad compared to blue book trade in. We'll be able to pay off the financing on that and have an out the door price of right around 10k on the 1500. I can't wait to ride it. She has to have a windshield and wants handlebar risers. I think those will take several months to come in! In the meantime she can ride my C50....

I'm going to strip down a lot of the aftermarket mods we did on her bike, I'll offer them up for sale here. Tank bib, Willie and Max black and red saddle bags, custom bag brackets, Brooklyn Butt Buster pad which is pretty much brand new. I will try and get the highway/crash bars we had put on taken off before we turn it in as well. They have some custom brackets to allow the bars to attach to lower frame holes, and the top goes in where the top radiator bolt attaches. I'll list all that in the proper forum, and it will all be priced reasonably.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM

I might be interested in the crash/highway bars. I'm looking for something with non-traditional mounting do you have any pics of them on the bike?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Jake, I left them on the bike, sorry! I just wasn't motivated to take them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement