Check your nuts. I had a bad day. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Check your nuts. I had a bad day.

Just a reminder to all. Was riding down in NC yesterday on a savenger hunt. We stopped at Walmart to get some stuff so I decided to look over the bike. All looked good til I got to the engine bolt just undernieth the seat. The nut had fallen off and bolt was half way out the right side of bike. Then I noticed the space had fallen out. Checked around and couldnt find it. Used electric tape to hold bolt in place and we made our way to the local napa. Got a nut washer and a rubber grommet I cut down to fit as a spacer. Got bike back together and pulling out the parking lot I got a lucky break when the original spacer fell out of where ever it was hiding. My friend behind me noticed it fall and stopped in the middle of the road to pick it up. That ended my scavenger hunt and with a couple guys took it back the 50 miles home. Rubber grommet made it home but everytime I stopped all I smelt was burning rubber.

Now time to fix bike since I gotta go pick up the wife about 40 miles away. Get bolt and spacer on a secure. Go to take off the tombstone bag so seat is usable and realize I never bolted seat down from putting bag on. Now I gotta dig in a dark gravel driveway to find them. Find them and Im on my way. Pick up wife, we go to bar to watch UFC and get home around 130am.

Get up and get ready to ride again. Wife is really starting to get used to riding and likes it alot. Go out front to check over bike before I leave. Stupid me I left a pair of vise grips locked on to engine mount bolt and rode about 100 miles and it never fell off and I never noticed it.

I did get a nice trouble free day of riding in today though. Well that was my weekend. Sorry to anyone still waiting to hear what happened to my nuts. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Gotta keep an eye on your nuts!!!
Good to hear your ride wasn't totally shot down due to problems and you were able to ride it home!!
Being able to McGyver something is a big help when your a bike owner. And vicegrips are a must in any toolbag!! I have a regular set and long nose set.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
One, Two... All's OK...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 PM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
One, Two... All's OK...
LOL,
I got a smilie that'd fit right in here........ but I'd better not!! LOL
Well, maybe this one....

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Now what

You know you're a redneck when.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn6609 View Post
Stupid me I left a pair of vise grips locked on to engine mount bolt and rode about 100 miles and it never fell off and I never noticed it.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM

I had that happen with an exhaust bolt in the rear. I'm riding along one day trying to figure out why it sounds like i got tinkerbell riding with me. Later to find out one of the nuts fell off the bolt backed out and the washer was clattering around. So now on i do a semi regular check of all the nuts and bolts i can get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement