I'm not ever using the clutch again - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
I'm a rider

Garage
I'm not ever using the clutch again

Unless I am sitting still I see no need to use the clutch on it. It is absolutely smooth as butter shifting up and down at any speed in any gear. I found out by accident, but now I dont even want to bother with the clutch unless I am starting/stopping.

I was initially concerned with teeth, synchros, plates, and everything else however I have paid close attention to it and it is just absolutely butter smooth. This may not be new to some, but I have always used the clutch. I just bought this particular bike this week so I am still learning things about it, but this is the only one I have owned that seems like it is completely unnessesary to shift with the clutch. Just left off like normal and kick it up or down.

I wanted to do this thread to see if others did this since I have never asked anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM

It is hard to find hot shifting to be butter smooth....

if you are forcing the shifter into the next gear up or down, you are likely stressing components, make darn sure the engine speed matches the transmission speed - that is better than just jamming it in.

I use the clutch often, but sometimes I don't I think it is just a personal preference.

Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
I'm a rider

Garage
Well I ride at what anyone would call a comfortable pace. I shift around 3,500 and it drops right in.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Didnt some of these bikes have a really crappy skinny shift rod or whatever its called? Like if it snaps, you will have to go hip deep in engine.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

yea, earlier model years had a smaller diameter shift rod, which will break more readily than the latter year ones with the larger rod.

aint know way in hades I can shift mine smoothly without clutch if the oil has any amount of heat in it (read that as after about 2 mins of running). clutch on mine just has too much parasitic drag on it. gotta go in and clean/deglaze the steel plates I am sure. maybe even replace the whole set of steel and friction

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
Well I ride at what anyone would call a comfortable pace. I shift around 3,500 and it drops right in.
x2
Never had any problems with shifting like this....often ride/shift the same.
If accelerating rapidly, I always use the clutch lever.

The HD shift linkage, As an improvement (upgrade), I replaced when cases were split, ($5.40 iirc,) tho' the original was not broken/damaged.
Old linkage = 5mm ***** New Linkage= 8mm
....when ordering 8mm HD shift linkage, order for, iirc, 2000 & above VN750's (different Part #).

hth

Note: If down shifting properly * / no need to stomp hard, Do NOT stomp on gear Shift Lever with heavy foot....depress lightly...

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 05-22-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Mountain Man

I shift without the clutch alot, usually when I'm smoking I have my left hand on the tank holding the cigarette out of the wind and Ill "blip" the throttle to match the engine and trans speed and click it in. I never force it or shove it in though.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

1993 VN 750 bobber/bagger mix named "Halfbreed"
Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Custom wrapped straight pipes
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you do it right....you likely aren't hurting anything. 3500rpms?
I shift closer to 5K. I use the clutch most of the time.Part of the training I guess.
My left hand is like already there, so why not.

Only concern here is if you get in the habit of doing it all the time will you remember to use the clutch when you really have to?
Seems like a pointless endevor as the clutch is there to be used, exactly what are you saving here? The hard work of closing and opening your left hand? LOL.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:23 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If you do it right....you likely aren't hurting anything. 3500rpms?
I shift closer to 5K. I use the clutch most of the time.Part of the training I guess.
My left hand is like already there, so why not.

Only concern here is if you get in the habit of doing it all the time will you remember to use the clutch when you really have to?
Seems like a pointless endevor as the clutch is there to be used, exactly what are you saving here? The hard work of closing and opening your left hand? LOL.
....If I've had a beer or two, my extra precaution to ride home (has always been less than five miles) ...I use the clutch ALWAYS. No habits here !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

As an old truck driver I used to shift a lot without the clutch, even played with it in cars occasionally I can give you guys the facts about this.

With trucks like cars you can leave the shifter in neutral for a short time which on upshifts allows the gear speeds in the trans match up (takes a lot of practice to get this right). On downshifts after putting the trans in neutral you would give her a bit of fuel to speed up the transmission input shaft once again allowing the gear speeds to match before catching the lower gear with the input and output gears spinning at matching speeds.

If done perfectly there is very little wear on the shafts, done wrong and you get broken teeth and little notches on the gear shafts. Truck drivers call shifting without the clutch "floating the gears" and it's a bit of an art form to consistently get it just right.

But on motorcycles the only way to use "time in neutral" to allow the gear speeds to match is by using the clutch. Yea, I've caught a few shifts without using the clutch (usually by accident) but I know that no matter how smooth it felt I'm putting tiny notches in the gear shafts. Over time those notches will make shifting rougher not to mention potentially chipping a gear tooth or three if I make a bad shift.

Trucking companies made a video about this years ago in an effort to get drivers to use the clutch and while the nicks in the shafts were tiny they were there from bad clutchless shifts.

Protect your bike's transmission, use the clutch.

These notes don't address that cars and some bikes use synchronizers between the gears on synchromesh transmissions. These syncronisers are less likely to nick the shaft but are weaker than the gears are and more likely to be damaged than the gears in a rough shift. resulting in transmission failure. Modern 18 wheelers may also be going towards syncromesh trannys with their automatic transmissions.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement