New Bars/Forks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
cycle zombie

New Bars/Forks

I had a little spill that ended up twisting my forks, handlebars and a few other things on my 99 Vulcan 750. I attached some pics for reference..

I read that the stock bars are 10" with a diameter of 7/8". I wanted to go a little taller so I was hoping these Lowbrow Customs Apes would fit. Can anyone confirm these would be compatible? I'm thinking I might have to relocate the components as well, which would clean up the wiring around the bars, also something I wanted.

I was also wondering if these Bitwell Grips would work with the stock throttle or if I'd have to go with an aftermarket throttle like they mention in the description..

As far as the front forks I remember reading somewhere a while back that any Vulcan 750 forks would work from mid 80's till when they stopped making them. Is that correct? If so, anyone trying to get rid of a set of front forks?

Thanks for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handlebars.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	15882   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	15890  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 AM

I went to a set of gel grips for like $15 tops on ebay. Look better and they slide ride over the stock throttle.

2007 Kawi ninja-sold
1990 Vulcan 750-sold
2001 Honda Sabre 1100-wrecked then sold
2013 Victory Highball
Ride on wolf
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Old Fart

Garage
A little spill? You hit a parked car?

You might need longer cables and hoses for a 12" ape. You can cut the old grip off the throttle and any 7/8" grips should fit.

All forks are interchangeable.

Make sure you didn't bend the frame or the triple tree btw.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Jack of all trades

I have a complete set of forks/trees I'd be willing to sell you. PM me and let me know. I usually have a few odds and ends laying around I can part with.

When did Dali start designing bikes? Lol

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Giggity!

Garage
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
cycle zombie

hahaha Dali!

Well what happened was I was on my way to work just after it had down poured here in south Florida. I was riding behind an SUV (with plenty of distance between us) when the SUV decided it was gonna stop last minute for a red light. I thought she was gonna drive through it but when I saw she decided to stop all of a sudden I hit the brakes. When I hit the brakes I realized I wasn't slowing down much and I was staring at the back of this SUV saying to myself I'm gonna slam into this car. So I started pumping the brakes to regain some control and I managed to swerve around the SUV but went into the intersection where the light was about to change green. I must have grabbed the front brake which made the bike buck and throw me over the bars. I remember being in the air thinking "this is gonna hurt" I managed to roll to my back and slide about 20 yards on my shoulder until I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. I barely tapped my head on the ground so I didn't get KO'd or anything but broke my left hand, I think on the mirror when I was going over the bars. Moral of the story is NEVER be in a hurry while your riding and always be ready for anything. Anyways, it's been over a year and I've finally got the money saved to get her back on the road and maybe with a couple upgrades.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroidasteroid View Post
hahaha Dali!

Well what happened was I was on my way to work just after it had down poured here in south Florida. I was riding behind an SUV (with plenty of distance between us) when the SUV decided it was gonna stop last minute for a red light. I thought she was gonna drive through it but when I saw she decided to stop all of a sudden I hit the brakes. When I hit the brakes I realized I wasn't slowing down much and I was staring at the back of this SUV saying to myself I'm gonna slam into this car. So I started pumping the brakes to regain some control and I managed to swerve around the SUV but went into the intersection where the light was about to change green. I must have grabbed the front brake which made the bike buck and throw me over the bars. I remember being in the air thinking "this is gonna hurt" I managed to roll to my back and slide about 20 yards on my shoulder until I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. I barely tapped my head on the ground so I didn't get KO'd or anything but broke my left hand, I think on the mirror when I was going over the bars. Moral of the story is NEVER be in a hurry while your riding and always be ready for anything. Anyways, it's been over a year and I've finally got the money saved to get her back on the road and maybe with a couple upgrades.
No helmet? Lucky.

Are you going to continue to ride without a helmet after that?

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
cycle zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
No helmet? Lucky.

Are you going to continue to ride without a helmet after that?
I had a full face DOT helmet on, and yes I'll continue to wear one. I just meant even with the helmet on I managed to barely tap it on the ground. But I read even if your carrying your helmet and drop it on the ground it needs to be replaced so that's another thing on my list. I think I'm gonna go with the Bitwell Gringo in Flat Titanium.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
So the front end got bent up like that without hitting anything?
Did the bike flip end over end?

Worst road condition is when it "just starts" raining....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
cycle zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
So the front end got bent up like that without hitting anything?
Did the bike flip end over end?

Worst road condition is when it "just starts" raining....
That's correct. Not sure what the bike did exactly, I was in the air and sliding on my shoulders haha. I don't know if you've ever experienced a down pour in south Florida before but it'll rain for 5 minutes and the streets will be flooded. It's pretty incredible actually. At the time of the crash I was riding my bike full time and didn't have any other vehicles so I didn't have a choice of taking a car to work if I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement