Squeaky sound? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LoneWolfOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
 
Squeaky sound?

I'm a new rider and just bought a Vulcan 750 last month. It's a 2002 with about 8500 miles on it. The previous owner took immaculate care of it and it looks like it's brand new. I just noticed that when I let off the throttle and let the engine brake the bike I hear a faint squeaky, chirpy sound. I can't really tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like somewhere towards the front of the bike. Is this a normal sound of the mechanics of this type of bike? Thanks, by the way I love this site, it's full of good info.
LoneWolfOH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Member
 
Spriddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Robinson Twp.Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)
 
Doesnt sound like anything Ive heard on mine.
P.S. The eye poking icon makes my eye hurt just looking at it

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
Spriddle is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 553
iTrader: (3)
 
Do a search on chirping and go from there. Should be some info for you there.
Woody is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,634
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfOH View Post
I'm a new rider and just bought a Vulcan 750 last month. It's a 2002 with about 8500 miles on it. The previous owner took immaculate care of it and it looks like it's brand new. I just noticed that when I let off the throttle and let the engine brake the bike I hear a faint squeaky, chirpy sound. I can't really tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like somewhere towards the front of the bike. Is this a normal sound of the mechanics of this type of bike? Thanks, by the way I love this site, it's full of good info.
"chirping" sounds like a gasket leak. Many report what they call "Popping" on decelleration with the throttle closed. If this is in fact what you are talking about...it's nothing to worry about. But if it is a "Chirp" or a "Squeek" then you might want to check the exhaust gaskets at the top of the headers(sometimes all you need to do it retighten the bolts) Check the other fittings on the exhaust for tightness , the spark plugs and the head gasket. I had what I would call a "chirp" on another bike, it turned out to be a stripped sparkplug. Look for blow by around these things, sometimes you can see soot piling up where it is leaking. Try running the bike on the center stand and droppinng the throttle closed to see if you can locate the sourse standing next to the bike.
KM
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LoneWolfOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
"chirping" sounds like a gasket leak. Many report what they call "Popping" on decelleration with the throttle closed. If this is in fact what you are talking about...it's nothing to worry about. But if it is a "Chirp" or a "Squeek" then you might want to check the exhaust gaskets at the top of the headers(sometimes all you need to do it retighten the bolts) Check the other fittings on the exhaust for tightness , the spark plugs and the head gasket. I had what I would call a "chirp" on another bike, it turned out to be a stripped sparkplug. Look for blow by around these things, sometimes you can see soot piling up where it is leaking. Try running the bike on the center stand and droppinng the throttle closed to see if you can locate the sourse standing next to the bike.
KM
KM
You know I really didn't know how to describe this sound, but I think your idea about blow by of some sort is probably what it is. I will check the tightness of all the respective bolts and see if it helps. I do hear the popping when I back off the throttle. If I understand it correctly it is designed into the exhaust system by Kawasaki to improve fuel efficiency. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'm not sure about the neighbors when I take it out early on Sunday mornings. Thanks all your help.
LoneWolfOH is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LoneWolfOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
 
It kind of disturbed me when I first saw it too. I think that is why I like it
LoneWolfOH is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
HAWK
 
Ccspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago land
Posts: 2,576
iTrader: (9)
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I have had the exhaust heat shelds make a noise like a squeek.
Try tightining the covers.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Ccspinner is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Giggity!
 
kanuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio, Zanesville
Posts: 4,307
iTrader: (24)
     
Garage
Here a squeek, there a squeek, everywhere a squeek, squeek,! lol
kanuck69 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
LoneWolfOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Here a squeek, there a squeek, everywhere a squeek, squeek,! lol
I usually don't name my vehicles, but I may have just found a name for my bike!
LoneWolfOH is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
LoneWolfOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
 
Thumbs up No more squeaky

I think I found my squeak. The fuel line that runs from the gas tank has a V shaped guide that holds it in place. The line was rubbing on the guide so I sprayed a little WD40 on it and chirpy went away.
LoneWolfOH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome