Old/New Bike Maintenance - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Les

Old/New Bike Maintenance

Hello All,

In case you didn't see my first post in the newbie area I just picked up a 99 750 a couple of weeks ago. I've been reading through the wealth of info on this site and have come up with a list of maintenance issues to take care of.

New MF Battery - which I am about to install when I finish posting
New Rear Tire - Goes in the shop tomorrow, weather permitting
Change Oil - Sometime this weekend
Replace spark plugs - Open to suggestions, there seems to be alot of debate on this one.

Those are the easy ones. Here is also what I am going to do but may need more info.

Lube Splines - I have searched and come to the conclusion that I need to do this. Is there a step by step guide somewhere? I have searched the archive and found some instruction and I could probably figure out all of the bits and pieces but if there is a step by step guide I am missing that would be easier.

De-goat - Again, is there a step by step? It seems as it I am losing a piece of exhaust so wouldn't you have to replace the missing piece with something?

Coastering

R/R Relocation - Maybe. If I degoat that seems to take care of much of the heat that the R/R relo is supposed to take care of. So, is it necessary if you are de-goating the bike?

Do yall see anything I have missed or have any advice for those projects?

Thanks,
Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
sounds like u have a nice list goin... ur bike will be up and ready for a lot of riding after this is dun. have fun w/ it

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Giggity!

Garage
With your Spline lube look up fergy. It's in his signature. & the R&R relocation, If it's put out in the wind it will always be cool! If you search for coastering, also in the vulcan verses, there's lots of writups! The degoating has been interesting. I'm in the process of doing it. I installed a set of harley dynas & took out the goat belly. Getting the right angles (skip my frustration & go to a local muffler shop) is a little tricky. I used a flex pipe on one side. Not happy. And ran the other straight. It's all about the angles. Many people use the h pipe kit from scoot works. Good luck

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Benjammin'

For what its worth, a few of us have switched the brakelight out to LED's. Though it is not necessary, there are a few benefits that we have found;

1) It is definatetly brighter than the stock bulbs. Obviously, you can see the benefit in that.
2) The LED bulb requires less current to burn than the standard bulb. The bike is designed to operate fine with the standard bulbs, but less voltage draw is beneficial to our charging systems.

Other than that, you should have all the key componants to have a long running machine that will outrun many bigger bikes when placed head-to-head.

Here's to many happy years of riding

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Les

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

I had thought about the replacing the taillight with LEDs. Any sources anyone can recommend? There are so many shady companies it's hard to tell!

BTW. If anyone is still holding off replacing their old battery, stop waiting. It is easy, relatively inexpensive, and makes a difference! My bike was starting fine (or so I thought) but it did require a couple of seconds and a little throttle to get it going. But now I touch the button and it comes alive. Heck, it seems like I just start moving toward the button with my finger and it starts!

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 PM

1)Seafoam
2)check those air filters

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Benjammin'

Hey Les,
Here is the link we all used to order or LED panels for the tail lights. Thay are a lot brighter- I'm sure you will like them.

http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...ry_Code=Vulcan

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.

Last edited by BSkaggs513; 09-11-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Broken link
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are you taking the tire off?? or is the shop?? I think it better that you take it off and take them the tire.... that way you can lube the splines while it away.
You'll thank yourself later for learning to do this yourself!

Oil... Rotella 5w-40w Synthetic is a good choice and alot of people are running it. Really nice if you have alot of cold morning starts!

Iridium plugs are another good choice for a smoother running ride.... 6.95 ea... but well worth it!!

And you might look into getting a set of K&N air filters! again... spendy but worth it!

Hope by the time you get these things done there is still time to ride!!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Search Goddess

General rule of thumb I tell everyone that has picked up a used bike..
Go through ALL the maintenance, and that includes all fluids, Brakes, and Coolant, final gear oil (different from the final drive lube), forks.
This way you have a starting point for when all the regular maintenance needs to be done.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Les

Thanks again everyone.

I like the LED lights, I might go all led for the turn signals as well. Has anyone gotten the smoked version? If so, how do they look? If I get some spare time today maybe I'll start looking through the pictures and see if I can spot any.

Diana, I think you are right, I might as well do it all at once and then I'll have a baseline.

There is still plenty of good riding time left here in Texas. We don't start getting cold until November and winter riding seems like fun, kinda... we'll see...

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement