First month and first 1,000 miles... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

First month and first 1,000 miles...

Well, I have been riding for just over 1 month now. I took the MSF course one weekend, bought my bike the following weekend and have hardly stopped riding since. I have only commuted to work a few times and probably won't commute much at least for a while. Most of the miles have been on casual morning rides on the weekend and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I watch traffic, watch for objects on the ride, stay back from the car in front of me, pay attention to cornering and even after all that I feel relaxed after a ride. I guess while paying attention to the ride you can't think about anything else. Don't get me wrong, I still get nervous when I see people pull up on side roads because I feel they may pull out in front of me, but I am getting over it slowly. I slow down and look for signs that they may pull out and pray they don't!

Vulcaneyez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:47 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneyez View Post
I still get nervous when I see people pull up on side roads because I feel they may pull out in front of me, but I am getting over it slowly. I slow down and look for signs that they may pull out and pray they don't!
Good to hear you're enjoying it!!

But like it's been said before, ya never want to feel too much like "You've Gotten Over It" or too relaxed while riding, because then it means you're not paying enough attention to who/what else is on the road.
But that relaxed feeling after a ride is a great one!! We gotta figure out how to the $$'s we spend on our bikes taken off our taxes as stress relief therapy!!

Here's to the next 1000 miles... (after the ride!!)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Most of the miles have been on casual morning rides on the weekend and on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
That's a gorgeous place to get work the training wheels off. I started in March and still haven't made it over to Skyline (have driven it in the cage, just not on two wheels yet). And am definitely jealous if you can make that ride regularly.

And what hyper said. I don't feel like I have enough experience yet to give any sort of advice, but the one thing I can say is that there will never be a shortage of morons out there.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying I am relaxed during the ride. I stay alert and hope to always stay alert. But while staying alert, you don't think about a lot else so after the ride you are refreshed because you have cleared your mind. To be cliche, it is just man and machine.

Vulcaneyez
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Thanks guys. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying I am relaxed during the ride. I stay alert and hope to always stay alert. But while staying alert, you don't think about a lot else so after the ride you are refreshed because you have cleared your mind. To be cliche, it is just man and machine.

Exactly!!

Didn't mean to sound like I was saying you weren't staying alert, just wanted to point out that no one should ever feel they know enough about riding a motorcycle that they don't have to pay attention every minute of every ride. From before you get on the bike (pre ride inspection) until you put the kickstand down, turn the key off and dismount the bike.... it's all part of the ride.

Always be alert, we need all the lerts we can have, especially in the motorcycle world!! LOL

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Always get nervous when someone pulls up at a side road - don't ever get over it. Is it standard practice to ride with your headlight on in the US ? Its not compulsory in the UK but everyione does it in self defence.
If you get the chance then post a pic of the scenery along your route - it sounds really pretty. I am in the middle of London - 10 miles at least in any direction before you can do 40 and maybe get out of 2nd gear.

Last edited by Simon; 09-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Is it standard practice to ride with your headlight on in the US ? Its not compulsory in the UK but everyione does it in self defence.
Not in every state, but most people do use it.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Always get nervous when someone pulls up at a side road - don't ever get over it. Is it standard practice to ride with your headlight on in the US ? Its not compulsory in the UK but everyione does it in self defence.
It is the law in a lot of states, but I don't think it is in my state (Virginia). I would run it regardless, just like I would wear a helmet (full face at that) even if it wasn't mandatory.

Quote:
[If you get the chance then post a pic of the scenery along your route - it sounds really pretty. I am in the middle of London - 10 miles at least in any direction before you can do 40 and maybe get out of 2nd gear.
That kind of traffic would scare me! Here is a ride report I posted on another forum: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...rt-w-pics.html

Vulcaneyez
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Here is a ride report I posted on another forum: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...rt-w-pics.html
Nice pics ya got there. And the one looks awfully familiar!!!

Arnold was my cats name. That's why I took a pic there.
Here is the Mousenator in all his evil wicked mean and nasty looking glory...

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:46 AM
fuzz

don't ever stop being nervous , they will run you over , they will pull out in front of you , always expect it ...

Quote:
Well, I have been riding for just over 1 month now. I took the MSF course one weekend, bought my bike the following weekend and have hardly stopped riding since. I have only commuted to work a few times and probably won't commute much at least for a while. Most of the miles have been on casual morning rides on the weekend and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I watch traffic, watch for objects on the ride, stay back from the car in front of me, pay attention to cornering and even after all that I feel relaxed after a ride. I guess while paying attention to the ride you can't think about anything else. Don't get me wrong, I still get nervous when I see people pull up on side roads because I feel they may pull out in front of me, but I am getting over it slowly. I slow down and look for signs that they may pull out and pray they don't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement