Hyperbuzzin (headrest /backrest?) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Hyperbuzzin (headrest /backrest?)

What backrest is this? Is it a headrest from a volvo?

I did a search but couldnt find a topic related to it.

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...t=500&ppuser=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Yep, it's a Volvo headrest. Got it from eBay.
To get it to fit over the seat, I had to stretch the posts out a little. I started making the mounts (like the Protac, using the top shock bolts) but haven't got them welded together.

The guy I'd usually do long (1000mi) rides with got married, and I don't think his wife likes him taking off on the bike for extended weekends, so that kinda put a hold on needing some extra back support for the longer rides.
It's definately on my winter to-do list to finally complete it.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
thats kinda neat... bet its comfortable

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
thats kinda neat... bet its comfortable
It felt like it should be once it's solidly mounted. The headrest itself is decently padded, but there is also a softer pad that's made to fit it, but I don't think that will be needed.
I was trying to make mounts that would be adjustable up & down, as well as back & forth, but they'll probably be, for the most part, stationary.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Is that from a late 80's early 90's 240 Volvo?

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I found one this morning at the salvage yard. 1989 Volvo 240. I paid $10 for it!

It was a bugger to get off though. The owner and I worked on it a while. He decided to cut the seat since they were in really bad shape anyway. Once we got past the fabric and foam of the seat we could see that the headrest was snapped into a little mount that held it in place. It was mostly plastic so with a little pocket knife wittling, prybar leverage, and me pulling on the headrest it popped free.

This particular model has 2 tubes coming off the bottom about 4 inches long. So I'll have to find some way to extend this, AND mount it to the bike.

I think if you get it in place at the right angle it'll be very comfortable. The problem of it is, if you ever need to get to the battery or anythign this has to come off. Hyper looks like he may have several things to undo before he can take his seat off. I guess those factory buil backrests also have to unbolted anyway if you want to get under the seat.

This is definately a project that will take some time, and inginuity. May just be less frustrating to buy a factory rest outright but I am a cheapo, and my wife is even worse. So I have to at least try it. Maybe I can get it to work, withough being tacky looking.

I am open to any ideas to help get this guy mounted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Woohoo 100 posts! And well over 1,000 miles logged on the vulcan.

Near the bottom of page 4 shows a pic of Hyber's headrest.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1896&page=4
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn750joe View Post
This particular model has 2 tubes coming off the bottom about 4 inches long. So I'll have to find some way to extend this, AND mount it to the bike.

The problem of it is, if you ever need to get to the battery or anythign this has to come off. Hyper looks like he may have several things to undo before he can take his seat off. I guess those factory buil backrests also have to unbolted anyway if you want to get under the seat.
The mounts I'm going to have are gonna be pretty much like the Pro Tac ones. They'll mount to the upper shock stud. The backrest posts then simply slide into them. To remove the backrest, ya just lift it up and off.
There have been several people that I've heard of who added a bolt through the post and mount (of the Pro Tac ones) to lessen the chance of someone easily walking off with it. Only then would you need to unbolt anything to remove it.
This is a pic of the Pro Tac mount (kind dark, but should give ya an idea what I'm talking about...

My other idea was mounting it right to the seat, but that may have a better chance of breaking the seat if ya lean on the backrest too hard, seeing as it's just plastic.
I've had this head/back rest for over a year, and haven't got it actually mounted yet. But like I said, thru the upcoming winter months, it WILL get put on, finally!!

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

How can I make somethign simular?

I'll probably sand and paint everything black with a rustolium rattlecan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement