Dropped Roxie yesterday - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Dropped Roxie yesterday

I was trying out a new pair of sunglasses. It was 59 out yesterday morning. My eyes started to tear real bad so I pulled over to put my riding ones on. With my eyes full of tears I could not see that when I put the kickstand down my pants leg got caught and pulled it back just enough that when I put the bike's weight on it, down we went. Scratched the right grip and bent the clutch lever slightly. As for me it managed to torch me back and got some shotting pains and numbness in my left leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sorry to hear the two of you went down, but I guess it's best to go down from a standstill. Still, can leave some good marks - hope you're icing the bruises today to keep 'em to a minimum. If you need a new clutch lever and/or left grip, give a shout. I've got spares.

C
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Old new guy

Ouch! I did the same thing years ago with my Yamaha Venture. I had just backed it into my parking spot at work. That bike weighed almost 800 lbs; I weighed about 130. Once it started over, there was nothing I could do but get out of the way and let it down as gently as possible. Then went in the building and got some help to stand it back up. Only my ego was bruised.

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
85 VN 700

Hehe... I did that too a while back. I was late to class and must have either forgotten to put the kickstand down (unlikely) or my pantsleg got caught or something... needless to say - by the time I realized there was no kickstand she was going down.

Swore some, put my jacket and helmet on the ground (it was hot out and I sweat at the thought of work) - and did the trick we've all seen the little lady do for bike re-upping (put ya butt into it <g>.).

Luckily my ammo cans were on so they acted as a rear end crashguard - I was just happy that no-one seemed to notice (this was at school afterall).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I did the same thing back in High school..... But that was when "BIG" bell Levis were in style.... a friends suzuki 250 enduro, and BIG bell Levis... AT School first thing in the morning. It was when I stopped at the stop sign at the "hang out" at school when I found out that he did not have a cover over his front chain sprocket.... I found out when my BIG bell Levis got caught up in that sprocket as I stopped!! Needless to say that when I tried to put my feet down... only one touched and down I went!!! Felt so like the guy from Laugh-in ( dating myself ) I just wanted to crawl under a rock!!!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I dropped mine just a few days ago. I was backing it out from my small car port. I was walking beside it as I pushed it back. It started to go over away from me and I could not hold it. I let it go over as easy as possible. I am 5'3" wiegh wet 120 lbs. over it went. It happens to the best of us. Now I have a bike dolly from Harbor Frieght.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I have not dropped Scarlet yet but I came close. I was practicing slow sharp turns in a parking lot and over it started to go. I thought for sure it was gone... Chalk it up to addrenalin or the slow fall, but I saved it. I'm totally paranoid about her going over now. I'm probably overly cautious. The pant leg will probably get me! lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Dan

Happens to everybody eventually. I have a little mental checklist I go through every time I get off the bike: sidestand down, check the ground surface, apply front brake, lay the bike over and get off. I started doing that ever since I got off the bike without putting the side stand down...CRASH!! Right in front of Starbucks..............so damned embarrassing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I believe my pant leg pulling the kickstand back just enough to not hold the bike up is what caused me to drop my bike over on a Hardley's hardsided saddle bag. Luckily it just scuffed the paint on the bag of the bigger than me Hardley riders bike, and he (though understandably upset) realized it was an accident, and eventually calmed down. Needless to say, I got outta there ASAP anyhow!!

I think that's been one of my most life threatening incidents to date!

Good to hear it was a no speed drop for ya Piro.
Sometimes a bent lever can be somewhat straightened, but watch out if ya try, 'cause sometimes they can snap when ya do it too.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Benjammin'

First things first- I hope you are icing down the back and taking it easy. Hopefully it is just a strain. Glad you weren't moving and a bent lever is the worst of it for the bike.

Last year, I parked my bike on my (concrete) driveway and started walking away only to look over my shoulder to see it slowly creeping forward on a half-engaged kickstand. The closest thing I could get to was the backrest and used that to wrestled it up from a HUGE lean. Needless to say, I felt that for days...

Take care of yourself and if your numbness persists, don't ignore it for too long. (UNfortunately, I have first-hand experience).

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.