Zen and the art of - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!
 
Goofyfoot2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Posts: 3,359
iTrader: (1)
 
Zen and the art of

Motorcycle Maintenance

I've been reading this again and each time is means something else. Anyway, here is the same bike the author used to cross the country (MN to CA) 305cc Honda. This one is beautiful.

http://www.honda305.com/fr/cb77_F12.htm


2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Goofyfoot2001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Deviate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 1,253
iTrader: (5)
 
I enjoyed the book. I'll probably read it again some day. In my head I pictured the bike he was riding to be something totally different than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
Deviate is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South of Eden
Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)
 
I was bored to tears trying to read that book. However I am in the middle of a total restoration of a 1965 CA77 Dream for the Vice President of The Kansas City Chapter of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club. This one is the dark blue with red seat. I hope to have it all back together next month. Even though it is a stock restoration, it has been a fun project.
TOOLS
TOOLS1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Deviate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 1,253
iTrader: (5)
 
Well in all fairness, had I not gotten my degree in philosophy and just loved reading most anything related to it, I probably could have been bored by the book too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
Deviate is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!
 
Goofyfoot2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Posts: 3,359
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Well in all fairness, had I not gotten my degree in philosophy and just loved reading most anything related to it, I probably could have been bored by the book too.
I was the first time. Not this time. Funny thing is he saw a lot of the same things in people then as now. Two type, those who are romantics and those who think classically. We, like him, are the classical thinkers. We want to know the inner workings of things. The couple he rode with, they had a bmw I think, were romantics and couldn't care less about how the bike worked, so long as it worked.

He made comments about the kids of that time not taking care to understand how things worked. I find the same true today. Except that I was a kid then, and always cared about how things worked. It still irritates me that my nephew can't or won't try and understand how things work. He wants to be a game developer, I tell him, "then you need to get a game engine and understand how they work". He has no interest in that work or understanding. He has the dreams though...sheeesh

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Goofyfoot2001 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 15,873
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
Motorcycle Maintenance

I've been reading this again and each time is means something else. Anyway, here is the same bike the author used to cross the country (MN to CA) 305cc Honda. This one is beautiful.

http://www.honda305.com/fr/cb77_F12.htm

That's the bike that .gt under my skin as a kid.my Father had one

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is online now  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!
 
Goofyfoot2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Posts: 3,359
iTrader: (1)
 
Just seems like it would be a heck of a load for this bike to haul a man, boy and bags a couple thousand miles through desert and mountains.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Goofyfoot2001 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 15,873
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
My memory may be a little off(I was 5).but Dad's dream pulled us around well

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Deviate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 1,253
iTrader: (5)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I was the first time. Not this time. Funny thing is he saw a lot of the same things in people then as now. Two type, those who are romantics and those who think classically. We, like him, are the classical thinkers. We want to know the inner workings of things. The couple he rode with, they had a bmw I think, were romantics and couldn't care less about how the bike worked, so long as it worked.

He made comments about the kids of that time not taking care to understand how things worked. I find the same true today. Except that I was a kid then, and always cared about how things worked. It still irritates me that my nephew can't or won't try and understand how things work. He wants to be a game developer, I tell him, "then you need to get a game engine and understand how they work". He has no interest in that work or understanding. He has the dreams though...sheeesh
So true. I have friends that have bikes and if they need anything done, including oil changes, they head to the dealer even though they are able bodied. Nothing wrong with that I guess, and I don't discriminate against someone for doing it, just not my thing. I want to know how it's done and do it myself.

It does irritate me though to see kids in college that wouldn't even know how to swap out a battery in their car, much less change a tire or the oil.

As for your nephew, maybe he will be the writer or designer. Doesn't necessarily have to know how the engine works, just comes up with the creative ideas. Although as a developer myself, I can certainly appreciate a technical writer that understand the technology they are writing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
Deviate is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
rsavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Posts: 609
iTrader: (0)
 
A friend gave me a copy of the book a couple months ago. I'm about half way through it but I must admit, it's not exactly captivating for me. I usually fall asleep while trying to read it. I'm trying though!
rsavant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome