Why am I told to stay away from vn750's - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Why am I told to stay away from vn750's

Hello all, thanks in advance for any info and advice.

I am looking to buy a bike, I have seen and sat on many, I'm 6'1 225 so I feel cramped on many. I recently came across a cycle shop and the mechanic there has a 2005 vn750 with 8k on it, beautiful stock condition. It was dead cold and fired right up and idled very smooth. He said he let it sit over the winter, so he sonic cleaned, rebuilt, and synced the carbs. Everything sounded great to me and I fit the bike nicely.

My issue is, I have since been to several other shops to look at bikes they have, and everyone tells me to stay away from this bike. They say that they have electrical issues with the starter switch, and that once the carbs are messed with they only run good for a short while and then need to be synced or adjusted again. They also tell me that in order to work on minor things, the entire motor must be removed from the frame.

I understand they would like to sell their bike, but they name sever other bikes that they would recommend, even if I didn't buy their's.

I'm good with a wrench and do not mind minor issues here and there, it's a machine and I understand it will need maintaining and repair here and there. I just don't want to get into something that's going to leave me stranded, or be worked on more than ridden.

Just looking for a bit of advice or info here. The shop that's selling seems very trustworthy, he told me every detail on it that he has touched.

Thanks again,

SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
They are somewhat right, the electrical system is a shortcoming, the engine has to be removed for your first stator replacement.... But if they are such a bad bike, why did Kawasaki make them unchanged for 20 years?
I say check the charging system to make sure you are 14 volts at 4000 rpm. Check every thing else you would check out on any other bike and if it so is solid, go with it... If you run into problems you will not find better tech support for any other bike then right here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 AM

Im 6'1" and made my own FWD controls...bike fits great now....

No problems with the ignition switch unless ya leave the bike outside 12 mos w/o covering....his carb statement was bullsheit...almost no synchro at all needed with just 2 carbs....I think the guy is an azzhole....most dealers are....

There are mostly 2 main issues with the VNs....the stators crap out and are sheit to replace....and the newer models were sent from the factory w/o having their final drive splines lubed....anything else is common with all bikes....

My VN700 (the 750's granddad) will be turning 31 this October....show me a Virago that can say the same....

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Bought my '03 with 3000 miles on it, Almost 3 years and 19,000 miles later the only repair required was rebuilding the petcock ($20 in parts) I did an "earshave" and rebuilt the carbs while I had them out a year ago just because I figured it was time since the bike was 10 years old, it still ran great but 10 years ya know... Carbs have never gone out of adjustment.

Get the bike.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 AM

I had a 94 bought it with less than 7000 miles on it , put over30000 miles on it . never had a problem with it other than routine maintenance. if you keep up on everything , lube the splines , you should have no problems enjoying the time riding the bike. and like said , this is the place to go if you do have any problems, they have all , or most of the answers .plus , the site is filled with friendly , caring, and fun people .

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:05 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Bought a 95 with 13k and put 4k on in a few months. I did have problems wiyh the puck under the key but once i cleaned it i had no problems. My stator was fine when i sold it. The vn was really comfortable and mine was a fast bike. I just got a great deal kn a sportster or wouldnt have sold it.

No other bike has the clasic choppery good looks as the vn.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 04-26-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM

I'll also weigh in on this one. I bought a 2002 in October with 18k miles. I'd never even heard of VN750 but the price was good and I liked the way the bike looked. It had been well maintained but did have a few carb issues. I pulled and cleaned the carbs and had to replace a couple of parts. I now enjoy the best running and most fun to ride bike I've ever owned. I absolutely love my VN. You're a good bit larger than I am but I'm very comfortable on the bike. If you have problems, there's a wealth of info on this site. More importantly, the guys here want to help you get your bike running right. Many even offer personal assistance if they're anywhere close to you. It's truly a brotherhood. Also, the entire shop manual is available for download On this site. My bike completely stock and I plan to leave it that way. It runs perfectly and has plenty of power so why tinker with it?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

As was mentioned this bike was offered by Kawi for twenty years pretty much unchanged. Also I see very few mention a problem with the ignition switch here except if it was left outside all year uncovered which will be the same for any other bike. Many of us are still on the original stator so that is not too big of an issue if you take care of the bike. I believe many over tax the system and that may lead to some problems later. Objectively you wouldn't get a full negative reaction to the VN 750 a forum dedicated to that machine just like you wouldn't get a negative reaction to HD's on their dedicated forums. We enjoy the machine for what it is and those that disagree end up selling and trying something else. You also will see that many here ride several bikes but enjoy the 750 just the same. Check it out as mentioned and if it is up to snuff with the right price go for it.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Cramped

I'm close to 6'3 and have no problems feeling cramped. Rode bigger bikes that I felt more cramped on ...
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

Well, it is not unusual for me to go against the grain.

The vn 750 does have a well deserved bad rep with motorcycle mechanics. I knew that when I bought mine. A number of cycles produced in the '80's were form before function, the vn was one of these.

Probably more 750's sitting in Kaw dealership's customer's lots than any other single m/c for the years they were popular. The most common problems are too labor intensive.

JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement