Went down for the second time yesterday - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Went down for the second time yesterday

I am not sure what exactly happened.

I do know that the roads were wet.
I was going up a pretty steep hill, through a slight curve, with my 15 year old son on the back. I was going real slow, 10-15 MPH because I was fully aware of the problems I just described.

I had another bike following me (with a child on back) and 2 cars following him (both loaded with kids and wives). My buddy told me after we went down that he noticed as I was pulling out that my rear tire "looked a little low".

I think the combined pressure of the passenger, uphill, and curve caused the tire to kinda swag over to one side and maybe gapped the seal just a bit. When that happened all air escaped. All that I noticed was that the back end wobbled and before I could react to the wabble down we went.

I remember exhailing as I hit the pavement "hoo-uh!" and hearing the bike scraping. When the movement stopped I remember thinking "Jimmy (the next bike) is going to run over us!" He didnt. Everyone stopped. My son is fine barely a scratch on his foot and barely a scratch on his oposite shin. I came out much better than I could have. May knee is a little banged up, elbow skinned good, and my foot hurts where it got caught under the bike.

We were only wearing helmets and boots, with t-shirts and jeans. I was also wearing some fingerless feildsheer gloves, wich saved my right hand.

I am not sure what happened, and I know you all already know but please keep an eye on your tire pressure.

Spent the night last night getting a trailer and going back out there to retrieve my bike. It now sits on the front porch. The bike and I both look like we are "licking our wounds".

Bruises and scrapes the next few weeks, and various bike issues will remind me to keep an eye on my tire air pressure. I am still not certian if that is what the problem was. I really dont know what exactly happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Glad you and your son are ok.
Did you do a pre-ride check? Sometimes when we get use to our bikes we forget to do the simple things. Then it comes back and bites us.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've started using these - valve caps that indicate the pressure in your tire. I use 30s on the front, 32s on the rear. Visual check lets you know if your pressure is ok (green), starting to get low (yellow), or you really need to address the tire (red). If anyone's interested, I can pick some up - $16, shipping included. I think they come in 30s, 32s and 34s, but I'd need to double-check the range.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 10-05-2008 at 07:51 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Here's a google search for many links for tire pressure caps.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=Google+Search

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Good to hear everyone's alright, especialy with going down with a passenger. And also good to hear you were going as slow as you were.

Hope things are fine with the bike too.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

The headlight is damaged on the right side now, to match the left. The blinker is a bit scuffed up. I think the footpeg (acorn) and my right boot kept most of the bike off of the pavement during the short slide.

And of course the tire is now completely loose on the rim.

This was unexpected....... we'll have to see what it'll take to get my wife convinced to remount the tire...... I really need a new one, plus brake replacement, and check splines while they are in there. It was all part of my list of things I need to do. We just expected to do a few other things and have a bit more time before it was done. I think I'll have drive my truck for a few weeks. Hopefully no longer.

I picked the bike up and expected to ride it home even as I could feel the blood coming down my arm from the elbow, and down the leg from my knee under my jeans. I told my son that he'd better just ride home in the truck with the girls. Then the gawkers pointed out that my tire had no air. And I realized, I also was going to ride home in the truck.

Today soreness set in, and I realized my foot hurts. Lucky it wasnt broken under the bike, and I pulled a muscle in my leg. The slide chewed up my boot some, grinded up the eyelete holes nicely and shredded my leather boot laces.

We are all greatful that it was no worse than it was. We do count ourselves fortunate in spite of the unfortunate side of it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Vulcan 750 Rider

Send a message via MSN to BikerSid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vn750joe View Post
The headlight is damaged on the right side now, to match the left. The blinker is a bit scuffed up. I think the footpeg (acorn) and my right boot kept most of the bike off of the pavement during the short slide.

And of course the tire is now completely loose on the rim.

This was unexpected....... we'll have to see what it'll take to get my wife convinced to remount the tire...... I really need a new one, plus brake replacement, and check splines while they are in there. It was all part of my list of things I need to do. We just expected to do a few other things and have a bit more time before it was done. I think I'll have drive my truck for a few weeks. Hopefully no longer.

I picked the bike up and expected to ride it home even as I could feel the blood coming down my arm from the elbow, and down the leg from my knee under my jeans. I told my son that he'd better just ride home in the truck with the girls. Then the gawkers pointed out that my tire had no air. And I realized, I also was going to ride home in the truck.

Today soreness set in, and I realized my foot hurts. Lucky it wasnt broken under the bike, and I pulled a muscle in my leg. The slide chewed up my boot some, grinded up the eyelete holes nicely and shredded my leather boot laces.

We are all greatful that it was no worse than it was. We do count ourselves fortunate in spite of the unfortunate side of it.
Im sorry to hear about the incident man, and pray and wish you a quicker recovery. But look at the bright side, you were not speeding. Thanks for posting it man, atleast some of us are going to look into minor details before gettin on our hogs.....GET WELL SOON
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When it's just a few scrapes and bruises, absolutely consider yourself fortunate. Those are all quick-healing kinds of things, and, as was said earlier, probably the easiest way to learn a lesson about remembering to do the pre-ride safety check.

I misspoke earlier, too, about the tire pressure things- they come in a pack of 4 (for a car), so unless someone wants a spare pair, I can send 2 for $8. VN750joe, I've got a 30 and a 32 left. Send me your home address and I'll get 'em in the mail to you tomorrow - might make your wife feel a little better knowing that she can check your tires before you go out, too.

C
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 PM

hey cindy, ill take the remaining pair if you want to sell them off
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvn750owner View Post
hey cindy, ill take the remaining pair if you want to sell them off
Thanks a ton Cindy! You really are great. You can sell em to newvn750owner. I still need to decide wich direction I want to go with this bike. Because if my wife doesnt want to ride her own I'll have toget something bigger. I wouldnt want you to send me parts when I still dont know how long I will be keeping the bike.

Since she's seen me go down on it twice now, I doubt she'll be interested in learning to ride at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement