Went down for the second time yesterday - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 AM

She may get over it and learn from your mistakes.
When I had my accident in 93 (car pulled out from a side street. I hit it doing 45 in a 45 zone) my wife (well, we were dating at the time) came to the scene as the medics were cutting off my shirt and slicing my pants to check for any injuries. I only had a broken wrist and a few scrapes. After I healed and got a new bike, she still went riding with me. Now she is looking into getting her own license.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I always wanted her to be my riding buddy. And she was into it at first. But never really on fire or hyped up about riding. And now I know she's worried about wether or not she can do it since she's seen me wipe twice. I wouldnt want to push her into riding if she isnt sure so I am just giving her time to decide for herself. If she does want to ride, we'll probably keep this bike and get another one. If she doesnt, then I'll need something bigger to haul us both on.

Some bikers love to ride. Some only want to be passengers, and some just like to look at the bikes and shop for outfits.

She never really talks about bikes. I dont push her but I get the feeling she's not really interested. I on the other hand, cannot stop talking about bikes, and gawking when somone rides past.

I'm bummed out that I have to take my truck to work today. I dont hate my truck. I just love to ride, and now I feel wierd in my truck.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM

If you want to minimize healing time for that road rash, use Tegaderm bandages or equivalent. They're expensive but they work - I know first hand (first arm and first leg for that matter). Also reduced scarring a lot. Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date too.

The idea is not to let it scab up. The bandages seal in the "juices" and keep the area moist. The process is messy because the bandages get full of liquid from the weeping wound and it will find it's way out at the low gravity points, but only in very small areas and the badages will stay on. You'll need to wrap in gauss to catch this runoff and change daily at first.

I know it's a little late in the process for you but here's what I did:

1. Clean the wound thoroughly to get out all foreign debris and skin that's barely hanging. I used soap and water and my hand, a sponge or lufa is good.
2. Douse with Hydrogen Peroxide. Some say antibiotics can interfere with the healing process, so you'll have to read up and decide for yourself, it just seemed like I needed to do something for infection so I did. At least use a .9% sodium chloride solution, a spray bottle works great.
3. Scream liberally.
4. Spritz wound with sodium chloride. Not too painful, but repeat from 3 if necessary.
5. I covered the whole wound with neosporin, again another antibiotic so you make the call.
6. Dry around the perimeter as much as possible.
7. Apply tegaderm bandages with about an inch border around the wound so it has dry skin (and hair) to cling to. The bandages can be overlapped if the area is larger than a single (3x4). They cling to each other great and form one large bandage.
8. Wrap in gause making sure to add a little extra room on the downhill side of the wound since that's where the fluid will escape eventually. If it's your arm it might depend on your job and what position your arm is in most of the day.
9. Repeat from step 4 daily for the first few days. You'll be able to keep the bandages on longer once the wound starts to heal, even though it's still weeping. Tegaderm can stay on for up to 7 days if you can keep it fairly clean. The whole process took about 2.5 weeks for me. Probably went through 6 boxes of tegaderm bandages at $8 each.

I'm not a doctor! If the wound is serious see one. My leg wound covered the outside of my lower leg in an area about 4" x 10" and it was raw. My forearm wound was about 3 x 6 and equally raw, both wounds produced a mixture of blood and lymph but no lacerations, but plenty of tar and grit embedded. I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt so this was direct skin-on-road action. I won't debate the wisdom of proper riding gear.

Lots of info on the web of course. I just googled "road rash" and went from there. I'm sure there are a few stories in the archives here as well but I haven't looked. Maybe we should start a new forum topic?

Good luck!

1986 Vulcan 750
Newbie rider (2006) and lovin' it.
Always appreciate bike tips!
r/r relocated, stator replaced (by mech).
My splines are fine!
Kury ISO grips, throttle boss, wide levers and Vista Cruise.
Marbled (copper plumbing caps)
22,392 as of 8/1/07 (about 1,500 are mine)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Please check the make of tyre and the recommended pressure because 32 seems a bit low. I have avon venoms and the recommended pressure for the back is 36.
I am really glad you both walked away. Please bear this experience in mind and consider getting proper m'cycle boots, leather gear and leather gloves. You can get the stuff off ebay for a bargain- it doesn't have to cost a fortune.
God forbid there should be a next time but it will be for an equally unexpected reason that you don't see coming. My pillion can't understand why I insist on wearing leathers when he sees others riding round in trainers, tee shorts and even shorts. Please do not underestimate the risks.
Simon
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Search Goddess

One caution on the valve stem pressure caps. Fritz up in Minnesota is at least one I know of that had them leak on her and she still ended up with a low tire that got sguirmy on her.
30 and 32 pressures are only good for the stock tires I believe. Metzs run higher pressure. I know my back tire runs 40.
Luckily before I left Kentucky Lake and the Gathering we checked mine and I was low. As luck would have it, JD was the one that suddenly lost air in his rear tire. I saw the wobble, pulled up beside him and pointed to his back tire.
In his case the angle valve stem had finally taken enough of the air buffeting and had torn away a bit at the rubber base (Another note here, get the all metal valve stems, ANY rubber base one will eventually wear).

It was a definite learning experience, replacing a valve stem while you are on a trip and it's a Sunday morning.

If you or someone else happens to "think" the tire looks low, check it!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
One caution on the valve stem pressure caps. Fritz up in Minnesota is at least one I know of that had them leak on her and she still ended up with a low tire that got sguirmy on her.
That's a great point, Dianna. The caps have to go on all the way - they're tapping up against the inside needle of the schrader valve to release pressure to measure pressure.... ergo, put the cap on without cinching it down, and it oughta be in the red in short order.

I didn't know what about the Metzlers, either. Folks have always told me, "Don't go by what's on the sidewall." But...maybe we can compile of list of what folks are riding and see what the recommended pressure is? That's alarming, 'cause I think I have Metzlers on McKnight...

C
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Search Goddess

I think most typically run 40 rear and 36 front in Metz 880.
When you change tires you need to look at the manufacturers suggested pressures, not the OEM stock. Also note that most tires post the MAX LOAD for tire pressure. Unless you constantly run max load on the bike you want to go below that a little.
Wear and ride will also tell you if you aren't running the right pressure. Cupping, squirming, mushy turning and braking are all indicators of the wrong pressure.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Search Goddess

BTW, we do have a thread that discusses tire pressure here
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1811

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

---------------------------
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Mark

The pressure printed on the sidewall is the maximum pressure for the tire - not necessarily the "best" pressure. You'll get better traction if you run less pressure. But if you run your pressure too low, you risk having the tire break loose from the wheel. Because of this, when you carry more weight (like a passenger) you should run the pressure near or at maximum. But when you ride solo, you can bring that pressure down some and have better handling.
-----------------------------

I think THIS may be what happened to me. I weigh about 260, my passenger is about 110 I guess. We were going up a steep, wet hill. So All of the wieght, even most of the bike's weight was on the rear tire.

I think I could sacrifice a bit of handling for the security of knowing that my tire isnt going to do this agian! Since I am heavy, I'll be keeping the PSI closer to max.

Thanks for the link D!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Brought my bike home today from the shop.

New rear tire.
Like new front tire.
New front brakes.
Rear brakes checked out fine.
Splines cleaned and relubed.

Speedo isnt working. I put a new cable on it shortly before I went down. The outer shell of the unit itself has busted loose. Perhaps it's broken? Perhaps somethign is loose inside there I can put back together?

I am hearing and noise from the front wheel I never noticed before. Possibly some of the rough tread wearing off the fornt tire till it wears even and smooth? Perhaps something inside the wheel hub that wasnt replaced problerly and now I am hearing the bearings or cable sinning freely because it isnt connected properly?

The bike is definately handling different, probably better, I just need to get back on the road I think. I have not riden in 3 weeks since I went down.

Oh, and all of my instruments are loose, shakey and noisey now.

The bike seemed to running a little strange....... but it has not been riden since it went on it's side.

Tapping noice I thought was ACCT, mechanic says he's pretty sure it a bad valve.

How long can I ride it with a bad valve? I know you drive a car forever with valves tapping.

Last edited by vn750joe; 09-14-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement