Bike update and 2 questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Bike update and 2 questions

Hey Guys,

I just picked my bike from the shop yesterday. To remind everyone the bike had a leaky oil seal (PITA) and some other smaller questions and issues.
So I took it to that little bike shop and told the guy to look into carbs and all the other maintenance items, possibly look into this oil leak, and overall just give the bike a full inspection and check what else it might need.
He adjusted the carbs, replaced air filters, lubed a few things, pulled and cleaned the petcock, and lubed the front and back splines. And charged me $200 for it which I thought was very cheap. The oil seal stopped leaking by itself so for now I'll just forget about it. He also said he took it for a few long rides and it was all good.
So this is good. And I took it out today for a more serious ride and have 2 questions. Hopefully someone can answer these.

1. When the engine is under load I can hear a whine/whistle. It doesn't happen in neutral or at the same speed with the clutch so it's definitely something drivetrain related. It happens at any gear and is related only to RPM and load. It doesn't sound too bad and at about 4k RPM you can't even hear it any more. What can this be? Should I just ignore this or something is going to explode on me?

2. Up to about 4k RPM the bike has no vibrations. Around 4k it starts vibrating and the peak seems to be around 4.5k. The vibration is not violent by any means but it's there. At around 6k I would say that it's reduced. Is this normal for these bikes?

Other than that it seems to run good, shifts good and I don't see any other issues with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Crowley

1) I think it's normal. Mine has the same sound.

2) balance dampers, or something like that. Little black rubber things inside your engine. There are threads about it. Google "site:vn750.com balance dampers"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post

2) balance dampers, or something like that. Little black rubber things inside your engine. There are threads about it. Google "site:vn750.com balance dampers"
I saw that thread. So this engine should not vibrate at all or some level of vibration is considered normal?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Crowley

I mean there are lots of moving parts, so vibration is inherent. It shouldn't be incredibly noticeable and if it's intense enough to mention something about it, chances are it's not normal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, normally, at least with cars I'm very peaky about all kind of vibrations and I never owned a vtwin before. So I have no idea what is normal and what is not. The bike is usable the way it is. I didn't take it on the highway so I don't know how annoying it'll be at high speeds. Vibration is very slight and fast. And it's mostly felt in the right peg for some reason. Handlebars don't vibrate at all. Seat vibrates very very slightly.
I guess I'll call the shop again and see if he has any suggestions.

Last edited by Clone; 04-20-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Well, normally, at least with cars I'm very peaky about all kind of vibrations and I never owned a vtwin before. So I have no idea what is normal and what is not. The bike is usable the way it is. I didn't take it on the highway so I don't know how annoying it'll be at high speeds. Vibration is very slight and fast. And it's mostly felt in the right peg for some reason. Handlebars don't vibrate at all. Seat vibrates very very slightly.
I guess I'll call the shop again and see if he has any suggestions.
I haven't owned a bike of any kind that didn't have a vibration /tingle at a certain RPM range .That includes V-twins,inline 4's ,triples and parallel twins ,2 and 4 stroke. inclusive. Yours sounds normal to me. Vibration throughout the rpm range would be worrisome to me. I'd ride it like stole it unless it starts getting noticeably worse.Have fun,riding season is here.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey, sorry.. another question. PO replaced the stock exhaust with V&H but I just looked and it seems that he bolted the mufflers to a little metal bracket that is mounted directly to the frame. It doesn't make any sense to me. Basically it's transferring all the vibrations from the engine to the exhaust and to the rear peg mount.
Shouldn't there be some sort of rubber mount in between the muffler and its mount???

Last edited by Clone; 04-20-2014 at 06:02 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Is it the mount the footpegs are mounted to? They normally mount to the rear footpeg mount and there is a rubber bushing inside

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:49 PM

My thoughts on the vibration are this...the engine vibrates normally. If you have a lot of vibration (gauges and mirrors vibrating so much you can't focus on them or the bike bounces on the center stand across the garage floor or the foot pegs vibrate so much your foot about falls asleep) AND you see rubber bits in your oil....it's time to pull the engine for the balance dampers. If you just have a really bad vibration but no rubber in the oil...look for something else like the engine mount dampers. If it's just a little vibration with no rubber in the oil...just ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
My thoughts on the vibration are this...the engine vibrates normally. If you have a lot of vibration (gauges and mirrors vibrating so much you can't focus on them or the bike bounces on the center stand across the garage floor or the foot pegs vibrate so much your foot about falls asleep) AND you see rubber bits in your oil....it's time to pull the engine for the balance dampers. If you just have a really bad vibration but no rubber in the oil...look for something else like the engine mount dampers. If it's just a little vibration with no rubber in the oil...just ride it.
X2 Just ride it and check your oil screen for rubber bits.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement