Random thoughts - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Old new guy

Random thoughts

Well, I made my first mod to my new bike. I put a Westco MF battery in it. Installed the charge cable for the new battery charger as well, and zip tied it to the frame just under the seat. Have been shopping for a new helmet for a couple of weeks; found one today and took the bike for a spin to test the new bucket. First time the bike has been ridden for about a week. After a mile of slow riding, got out on the highway and brought it up to 55. About a mile down the road, it started cutting out, didn't want to run over 45, and not very well at that. Made a U-turn and brought it back home. Ran fine on the 25 mph road I live on. Decided it was Seafoam time, and dumped 2 oz in the 2/3 full tank. Sloshed it around a bit and took it back out. Ran like it always had before. Hmmm.... Hope that little quirk was an isolated event.

Love the new helmet. Bought a Scorpion. Had bought an AFX just a week before, but the bobblehead thing was a problem. The Scorpion has a lower profile and my head doesn't get buffeted about like in the AFX. I'll exchange that for a larger size and use it for a guest helmet. I have a small narrow head, and finding a good fit was difficult. I found most helmets, especially the HJC, seem to be made for a rounder head. There were no Shoei or Arai helmets available nearby, so didn't try those. If you have a narrow head, try the Scorpion. You might like it.

Tried to glue the swingarm caps in place last weekend. Pried the cap off one side, dabbed a bit of silicone on it, and stuck it back on. It popped right back out. Tried again. Popped right back out. This went on, no matter what I did. Tried drilling a tiny hole in the edge, thinking it might be pushing air. No go. I cleaned all the silicone off and tried it. Popped right back out. I tried the other side, dry. Same thing. Rats! Well, I used some very large rubber bands and popsicle sticks to splint them in place until they dried. Success at last! Anyone else experience this?

Actually, the battery was the second mod. First was a Mustang seat. The jury is still out on that. At only 145 lbs, I don't crush the seat much. The stock seat was not uncomfortable. But, I haven't taken any looong rides yet. Found a good buy on the Mustang, so I jumped on it. My butt tends to get a bit numb after just a half hour on it. Don't really notice it until I get off though. I'm thinking that may change as the seat breaks in some more.

I have a windshield, engine guard and highway pegs on the living room floor. It's going to be a busy weekend. There was supposed to be a rear rack in that box also, but they sent two engine guards instead.
Have saddle bags too, but they're going back. Bought the Willie and Max compact slant bags. Too small. Wish they made the same style in the standard size. The Fleetsides would be too big, I'm sure. I know some of y'all have them, but I think they're too big for this bike. So, I'm going with the standard slants from Willie and Max. Anyone else have those? Any thoughts?

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

Sponsored Links
Advertisement