Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Opening up a tach

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Crobins365 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to take the face off of the tach? I have been frustrated by my tach not working. It worked when I got the bike, but stopped soon after. I got to looking at it the other day and realized that the reason it isn't working is that the indicator is sitting BELOW the little stop that holds the indicator just below zero when the motor is off. I have no idea how this happened. is it possible to take it apart? I have considered drilling a small hole into the tach from near the bottom and sticking something small in there to push the indicator to the proper side of the stop. Is this the best solution?

#2 ·
You should be able to pull the tach completely off the gauge "platform" (for want of a better word) coming in from the bottom of the gauges. I had the whole set of gauges and stuff off the bike, and then pulled the tach off of that. If I remember correctly, there's a screw at the bottom of the tach that holds that outer housing on; pull that, and then you can probably work your way around to the inside where the indicator is. Keep in mind that I did this when my bike was in pieces - so I pulled the entire headlamp unit, which gave me easy access to the gauge platform thing...but also easy access to all the connections on the wiring harness. Just take lots of pictures as you go, and you'll be fine. :) (If not, I have a series of pics at home that I can send, if needed)

#3 ·
It has been a while since I brought this up, but I finally did something about it. Yesterday I drilled a very small hole into the tach down about 7 o'clock. I took a small 3" pointer with a handle that I found in my stuff, bent the pointed end over about 3/8" or so, stuck it in the hole and flipped the indicator up and over the stop. Voila, I have a tach again. I don't know if I will do anything about the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.