Ghosts in the Machine - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Ghosts in the Machine

While out on my cold, windy, wet and all around wonderful Christmas Day ride the strangest thing happened to my bike. I was going down the highway at about 80 and slowly creeping up to 90 when all the sudden the RPM shot up to redline (i was cruising at about 5800) and the bike wanted to slow down, like I had downshifted. This lasted for maybe a couple of seconds, then it returned to normal. It's running fine now. This hasn't happened before or since.

My initial thoughts were that I may have accidentally hit the shifter with my foot, but i looked down and saw that my foot wasn't anywhere near it (was on the highway, therefore not shifting so my foot was in a resting position). I browsed through Clymer's and didn't find anything relating to it. Any ideas here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 PM

Re: Ghosts in the Machine

Happened to me once also almost a year ago, on the highway goin almost 90 and slowed like it was gonna die then went back to normal. It never happened since and I had the bike down for the last 5 months for other repairs, but if you find out what it is let me know.

Justin

2003 VN 750
23000 miles
W & M saddlebags
Meir Windscreen
Clock/Volt/Temp meter
Electrex charging system
Fused stator
ME 880 tires
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:11 PM

Smile Re: Ghosts in the Machine

Here's a question for both of you. Why would you be riding that fast in the first place?
Wayne

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnon2705
Here's a question for both of you. Why would you be riding that fast in the first place?
Wayne
Because that is just about the right cruising speed. I have had mine to 100 a couple of times. No problems though.

Steve "Fallguy" Fall
Parsons, TN
'04 VN750 "Serenity"
Willie and Max Saddlebags
Ride Bell from Lady Di
Kaw Luggage Rack
Westco MF Batt
Kaw Extended Backrest
http://personalpages.tds.net/~sfall
Pics http://photos.yahoo.com/stevfal
(KIR)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

It was Christmas, there wasn't a soul around.

I had it at 115 on one nice straight away once. It still had a bit of grunt left to it. The tach only read about 6500. I'd be interested to know what the top speed is, but I don't think I'm gonna find out. :P
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

The input that I've gotten on the VROC board is that a loss of drive, most likely clutch slippage.

I took it out for a nice 200 mile ride through the mountains today and it didn't happen once, so I guess it was just a freak occurence.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:34 AM

Maybe I'm getting old or something. I have had mine up to 80 before, but felt that the bike was to light to go any faster safely. Besides that, I still have memories of the accident I had so many years ago that left me with a nice scar on my left eyebrow. Road rash was rather severe that time and I was only going 50. I can't imagine what it would be going 80 or 100 mph. Now days, I enjoy crusing between 50 and 70 mph.
Ride safe everyone.
Wayne
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 AM

I don't cruise at 90 everyday or very often at all, but when passing a truck on the highway or just getting over a hill, I tend to let it go a bit and frankly the bike will cruise quite nicely at 90 when the weather is right. My usual speed is 70 goin down US1 on the east coast of FL on my way to and from work.

Justin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 AM

I have friends that live in Port St Lucie. You're a lucky guy that you can ride year round. Unfortunately, here in Maine, we might get 6 months of good riding weather at best. Mabye me riding so slow is just a way to drag out every moment I can get on the bike. Don't want the ride to end to fast you know
Ride Safe
Wayne
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Wayne,

I hope your friends in PSL fared alright thru the hurricanes, because this is pretty much blue roof city these days. I didn't get it too bad, fortunately the big tree in my back yard fell into the wooded lot behind me instead of on my house. We had 12 of us huddled together on mattresses in the dining room, it was quite an experience. Getting back to the point though, riding year round also entails an awful lot of rain, 35-40 degree mornings and wind. But, I still like it better than the north.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement