1986 vn750 with bad stator for sale. 1500.00 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

1986 vn750 with bad stator for sale. 1500.00

Hi..have an 86 vn 750 with a bad stator for sale..the bike is in very good condition..looks great..runs great when the battery is charged. Don't have time to deal with the problem. I live on the outerbanks of NC. phone is 252-207-4502
price for the bike is 1500.00 as is.
thanks.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
Good luck getting 1,500 for a 21 yr old bike with electrical issues.
How many miles?

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

about ten thousand miles. Bike it beautiful. If I can't get a good price, I'll fix it myself.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

ill give you $100.00 for it if you pay for shipping or deliver it to me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofun View Post
about ten thousand miles. Bike it beautiful. If I can't get a good price, I'll fix it myself.
I know I dumped more money into my bike then I could ever get out of it. I can identify with your attachment. The 86 was a nice bike and I wouldn't be upset if I were you if I had to fix er myself. Good luck with your search. There are plenty of VN700/VN750 lovers out there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM

That's about what you would be able to get out of it if it didn't need a stator. Stator replacement requires an engine pull and is very expensive to have done at a shop if you are not good with wrenches and bikes!
You'll regret selling a descent looking bike and not fixing the stator. Take some time this winter, pull the motor and fix it--you will be glad you did!
I sold my 85 several years ago for the same reason (stator) and have kicked my self in the butt for it ever since. I couldn't take it any more and started looking for another VN750 "for the right price". Well, they are few and far between and it took me over 2 yaers to find the "buy" I got. This ones not going anywhere this time!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

ok..i'm going to fix it myself...I need a complete list of parts to order and where to get the best stator for the best price. Can you get a complete kit with all the gaskets etc..or do I have to order it all seperate?..thanks.
Michael.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 AM

Well first, before we jump the gun on an engine pull for a stator.
1) Have you checked the voltage regulator with a good one to make sure it's not the problem? If the voltage regulator is bad--a good stator is useless. In other words your stator can be good but a bad regulator will not allow it to charge as it cannot convert the incoming current from the stator and regulate the 12-15 volt feed for charging the battery/electrical system.
Somewhere on this site are instructions for testing the stator as well as the regulator.

2) Is the regulator still in the factory location under the battery box? If it is you need to relocate to the left rear frame by the rear wheel, especially if you have the factory exhaust with the goats belly (crossover) on it. Just cut the wires about an inch or two from the connector of the regulator, place some heat shrink over the wires add some longer wire and solder them if you can then place heat shrink over the spliced wires and heat to conceal the new splice. Voltage regulators get very hot and do not like heat--Kawasaki obviously never thought about this & overlooked it for years.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM

I got the same bike for $1500 last year and then the stator went out. Paid $400 to get it fixed but man it made all the difference, now it runs great. Also get a MF battery. Fixin it is the way to go, especially with the low mileage.

Good luck.

1986 Vulcan 750
Newbie rider (2006) and lovin' it.
Always appreciate bike tips!
r/r relocated, stator replaced (by mech).
My splines are fine!
Kury ISO grips, throttle boss, wide levers and Vista Cruise.
Marbled (copper plumbing caps)
22,392 as of 8/1/07 (about 1,500 are mine)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofun View Post
Hi..have an 86 vn 750 with a bad stator for sale..the bike is in very good condition..looks great..runs great when the battery is charged. Don't have time to deal with the problem. I live on the outerbanks of NC. phone is 252-207-4502
price for the bike is 1500.00 as is.
thanks.
Michael
Like everyone else has pointed out, I don't think you are going to be able to get $1500 out of it. I bought my '85 for $650 and that only had a leaking gas tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement