At the end of my rope...
A few months back I posted about my 750 having trouble starting. Well, now it won't start at all. At the time, most of you responded that I should get a sealed battery and that might solve the problem. Unfortunately, I've finally purchased my Yuasa sealed battery and it has done absolutely nothing. I hate to say it was a waste of $70 but...
So far, I've cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, cleaned up some of my ground points, replaced the plugs, and purchased a better battery. None of this has helped with the hard starting one bit. It has probably been a few weeks now since the bike has started at all. Every time I go out, I charge up the battery and run it down to nothing. I just killed my new battery trying to get the friggin' thing to start. Granted, it's a bit chilly today, 40-50, but it should still be starting. All I get are backfires.
Here is the empirical evidence I can give. ANy help that you all can give me is much appreciated.
1. A lot of popping and backfiring during starting.
2. I've tried every choke cofiguration imaginable.
3. The carbs are in good shape and should be tuned pretty well.
4. The engine has what seems to be decent compression. It blows my finger off with ease. Unfortunately, my compression tester won't work on this bike. I am trying to track down some new fittings (to no avail).
4. The spark plugs are new(ish). They've been on for several months. There is some thin oily residue (oil fouling) on the plugs which leads me to think there may be valve/piston issues.
Other than that, I am blank. Can anyone give me some tests that I could run to start eliminating possibilities? For me, this bike isn't worth sinking a lot of money into it. If I can fix this problem, I may keep it around for a while, but I will part it out before I go broke for nothing. I bought it as a "project", something to tinker around with, but it is steadily heading downhill.