At the end of my rope... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

At the end of my rope...

Hey everyone,

A few months back I posted about my 750 having trouble starting. Well, now it won't start at all. At the time, most of you responded that I should get a sealed battery and that might solve the problem. Unfortunately, I've finally purchased my Yuasa sealed battery and it has done absolutely nothing. I hate to say it was a waste of $70 but...

So far, I've cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, cleaned up some of my ground points, replaced the plugs, and purchased a better battery. None of this has helped with the hard starting one bit. It has probably been a few weeks now since the bike has started at all. Every time I go out, I charge up the battery and run it down to nothing. I just killed my new battery trying to get the friggin' thing to start. Granted, it's a bit chilly today, 40-50, but it should still be starting. All I get are backfires.

Here is the empirical evidence I can give. ANy help that you all can give me is much appreciated.
1. A lot of popping and backfiring during starting.
2. I've tried every choke cofiguration imaginable.
3. The carbs are in good shape and should be tuned pretty well.
4. The engine has what seems to be decent compression. It blows my finger off with ease. Unfortunately, my compression tester won't work on this bike. I am trying to track down some new fittings (to no avail).
4. The spark plugs are new(ish). They've been on for several months. There is some thin oily residue (oil fouling) on the plugs which leads me to think there may be valve/piston issues.

Other than that, I am blank. Can anyone give me some tests that I could run to start eliminating possibilities? For me, this bike isn't worth sinking a lot of money into it. If I can fix this problem, I may keep it around for a while, but I will part it out before I go broke for nothing. I bought it as a "project", something to tinker around with, but it is steadily heading downhill.

...help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:03 PM

Re: At the end of my rope...

Bishop...

In the 'Electrical' section on the second page there is a post re pickup coil adjustment that has solved some hard starting issues for some...give it a shot.

Check to be sure you are getting good spark...crank the engine while grounding an unmounted plug and check to see the spark is there.

Check fuel delivery...drain the carbs to check for sufficient, clean fuel...you may have a clogged petcock, kinked fuel line etc.

Sounds like you may have oil leaking past your rings, but a thin film should not be catastrophic.

If you have a Clymers manual, check your ignition module. It is the black box w/ 2 plugs going into it & mounted behind the battery box. I've heard of 1 or 2 of these going bad.
Keep us posted....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Search Goddess

Re: At the end of my rope...

Three things come to mind with the starting problems after everything you have already done. CDI and coils just as jm1515 mentioned. A few have had starting problems after rebuilds when the coil wires got switched. Also check the starter solenoid. Jump across the contacts with a screw driver.
If you can't find the info I can look it up for you. Might also be in the Vulcan verses
https://www.vn750.com/Docs/Verses.htm

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement