Wheel Grime.....Cleaning - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Grime.....Cleaning

How cana i get my wheels looking like new? only parts of them will look clean but everything else keeps looking grimmy and dirty. On the side and flat part of the rim i have hard stuck stuff on there. on the wheel looks so dirty...How can I get the wheels clean and looking new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'll respond, even though you're a Bears fan (Go, Eagles!).

The best thing I've found - and thanks to Jon Landau for this tip - is to use wire brushes that fit your powerdrill. Think of it as a big Dremel tool for starters (and you can use an actual Dremel later for detailed clean-up). A lot of that road grime seems insolvent - I've tried a lot of different toxic chemicals and most of them were useless. The drill allows you to get through the grime, scrape off the stuff that's really stuck on there, and start to find the aluminum again. Wahtever you do, though, make sure to use safety glasses and a breathing mask - a lot of the stuff on the rim you really don't want in your system.

That being said, depending upon how bad your wheel is it still may not looking spanky new again. I think Mike DeAngelo is doing some ceramic coating of parts, and others have used powder-coating techniques. So you may just use the drill/brush/Dremel combo to get 'em as clean as you can, and then seal 'em up with something durable.

C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man i will give that a try.......
Does anyone know if that didnt work how much it would be to powdercoat or chrome a rim???

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 PM

Clean Wheels

I use a good quality mag wheel cleaner and when needed, a firm parts brush on the grime then pressure wash. A tire cleaning gel at the same time really finished up the job combined with pressure washing. After the wheel is dry, polish the rim with some 000 or 0000 steel wool. I top it off with some tire black and it looks great. Do not get the blacking gel on the tread as it makes the rubber slippery. Also, coat the black plastic parts with tire black to make them look like new.

Dirtrack
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Powder coating largely depends on the prep time required. I've seen prices as low as $125 for both rims. Now that's a price quoted online is $55 - $75. Some powder coaters will charge you for special orders and you may find yourself leaving with some powder.

http://www.aculink.net/~murph/Powder...cle_stuff.html

I'm currently working on preparing my tank and fenders for the powder coat. I'll be glass beading and sandblasting rust tomorrow.

I didn't have my cotton gloves slipped on over these gloves...Bad example of proper technique.

I love to see the bubbles.

I can't speak to Chroming.

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 08-15-2007 at 01:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM

When I did my rims I started with Blue Coral wheel magic and a toothbrush.After that I went to Mothers mag & aluminium polish with a grey scotch brite pad and then to a white pad and mothers and then to just the mothers and a soft rag.they look like new now.

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement