Ker-chunk - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Ker-chunk

Help me understand my suspension, tire inflation and all that good jazz. I'm never sure what I'm breaking, and want to stop doing it.

So It looks like I'll be riding this bike two-up a lot. The girlfriend likes riding and encourages taking the bike instead of the cage . . . who am i to complain. But it seems to put a bit of stress on the back end. We're both not little people, though not massive either (there's enough room to ride two-up after all).

While riding with a passenger, i've noticed that bumps and surprise potholes/manhole covers are much more noticeable. Sometimes at certain speeds and depths to the point that i feel like i'm smacking the rim of the tire. Realistically this can't be the case (can it?) as i'd be losing a hell of a lot of pressure that way. So i'm imagining it's the springs compressing and bottoming out.

I imagine that can't be good. So what's the best way to avoid that, or someone educate me on what's really happening and what i am or am not breaking.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 AM

What do you run your tire pressure at?

Do you have the stock rear shocks? If so, follow this link for pressurizing the shocks:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4839

DO NOT use a regular tire pump to pressurize the shocks. It will fill too fast and may damage the seals.
Plus, increasing the damener to 4 will help.

If you are using aftermarket shocks, there should be a dampener on them that you can adjust.

And since your bike is an 86, I think those had pressurized front forks too. You'd have to read the manual about those.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010

Last edited by lancer19; 08-15-2007 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

I noticed the same thing when I gave my son a ride on mine. He's 15 and is a big boy. I increased the dampener setting to 4 and put a little air in the shocks. Made a huge difference for me. I've yet to notice the same thing with either my son or my wife on the back.

Good luck

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarog View Post
Help me understand my suspension, tire inflation and all that good jazz. I'm never sure what I'm breaking, and want to stop doing it.

So It looks like I'll be riding this bike two-up a lot. The girlfriend likes riding and encourages taking the bike instead of the cage . . . who am i to complain. But it seems to put a bit of stress on the back end. We're both not little people, though not massive either (there's enough room to ride two-up after all).
When Patty and I purchased my VN750 in 1995, we were both much smaller. 10 years and two children later, we both put on some weight (me more then her ). But we no longer fit "quite right" on the VN750.

We solved our problem by buying a Kawasaki Nomad Touring Bike for two-up riding...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 08-15-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement