Hot start procedure... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hot start procedure...

I have a 2003 VN750 and have just installed a MF battery. It starts pretty well when cold. I just set the choke and it usually fires right up. It doesn't always do that when warm though. Should I give it a little throttle durning warm starting? I have read that a MF battery improves starting and it did seem to help, but it isn't perfect. I will be putting in NGK Iridium plugs later, does that help?

Vulcaneyez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Before you go to iridium plugs--unless your plugs need replacing, anyway...you should relocate your regulator/rectifier, first.

This also makes hot starting easier.

See the other relevant threads here for details on this mod.

To answer your (other) question....though, click on the following forum thread link:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ting+procedure

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneyez View Post
I have a 2003 VN750 and have just installed a MF battery. It starts pretty well when cold. I just set the choke and it usually fires right up. It doesn't always do that when warm though. Should I give it a little throttle durning warm starting? I have read that a MF battery improves starting and it did seem to help, but it isn't perfect. I will be putting in NGK Iridium plugs later, does that help?
Warm start... hit start button, let motor crank about one full turn then give throttle a twist.. should fire right off.. it's a timing thing.

Things that make a difference... MF battery for sure.. more power from the start. Others have R/R their regulators and the hard hot starts go away! other things that help.. oil.. Rottella Blue bottle full Sythetic.. helps best in morning and yes Iridium plugs do make things alot better! After I put those in.. first hit in AM and she is off and running. I used to leave chock on slightly until I got to the road and turn it off as soon as I was in second gear, she would not idle until she was a little warmer.. now I can turn off the choke within a min of starting and she will idle!

Little things do make a difference..... sounds like you may be in need of the R/R first though... The little things.... they add up!!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
First thing I would recomend is having the battery load tested Auto parts stores like Autozone and Avance can do that.
Second would be to check all the electrical connections from the battery to the starter for good contact and are clean, also the Neg cable and grounds.
Third check the charging at the battery with a voltmeter.
If all that checks out I would suspect your starter is going bad and should be checked

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I took the bike out for a 48 mile ride this morning and stalled it twice (I'm a newbie) and it fired back up really quick. I think the new battery is making a difference. Next thing to do is relocate the R/R and Iridium plugs at the start of next season.

Vulcaneyez
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Also if you still have a warm start issue, look at the Starter...That was the main problem with mine.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Hey 95VN750...

Can't have too many Kawa's? You need a Spectre 750 or 1100. Or how about the KZ 750 twin! These beasts are getting rare and if you collect, might be a good investment and a unique ride.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM

I laways opened my throttle about a1/8" before starting hot always popped right off, if I didn't open the throttle it would crank 4-5 secs b4 starting and than it was rough for a moment.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM

Hi Vulcaneyes
If you check the hot start threads you will see there is a fairly wide spread of differing experience on how to do it successfully so to a certain extent every bike is different. My bike does not start well when hot, but an MF battery at least gives me enough juice to eventually succeed. I also fitted iridium spark plugs - its works for some but not for me - but they are still better plugs and I'm happy to have them.
Relocating the electrics is the long term fix, bear in mind they might be wearing out anyway. Until then when starting from hot, like at a gas station, just take your time. Its not really a choke issue. Keep the bursts on the starter short. If you hold the button down and keep churning you'll exhaust the battery and you'll get a very loud bang from the pipes. Allow 30 seconds or so between tries. Suddenly without warning she'll roar into life at the first press of the button

Another thing I have noticed is it is quite easy to stall these bikes when starting off if you let the clutch out too fast or don't have enough revs up. If you are in traffic and this happens then press the starter button immediately and she should fire up without any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement