I soloed! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I soloed!

Well I did it, I went for a ride on the public streets! I have put about 45 miles on it up and down my street, but I am the only one living in the subdivision at this time. So tonight I went out to the gas station and back up the road for a whole 17 miles! Went really well considering. I had a couple cars pass me, but I resisted the urge to speed up and rode my pace. It is quite scary and exhilarating at the same time. Can't wait to do it again. Now it's time for a beer to calm my nerves.

Vulcaneyez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Ahh, I remember that feeling well, was only several months ago that I did the same thing. Exhilarating isn't it? Congrats...

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Old new guy

Vulcaneyez, You're doing well to stay out of traffic until you gain some confidence. I went through the same thing 30 some years ago, on a beat up old Honda CB350. Unlike Hiker, I don't remember it though. Guess I'm too old.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers rider courses that I'm sure everyone here highly recommends. Check out the courses and locations, etc at www.msf-usa.org. Go early. That way you won't have to unlearn bad habits. Take what you learn to a big empty parking lot and PRACTICE - panic stops, obstacle avoidance, riding over obstacles, stopping in turns, etc. You won't regret it. Time well spent. And you might even get a discount on your insurance.

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
What a great feeling, just wait till you are passing those cars

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I did take the MSF course about 2 weeks ago and did get a small discount on my insurance. I do need to practice pulling off and panic stopping though. Hope to see you out there!

Vulcaneyez
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
85 VN 700

Congrats on your first "real" ride. It's definitely a rush to be on the road and free - and it sounds like you're being safe about it.

Remember that it's not if, it's WHEN you go down and dress appropriately (which I'm sure you've already been told 1000 times).

Welcome to the wonderful world of 2 wheels - I'll never go back to not having a bike and get grumpy when I don't get my daily ride in. Luckily the wife wants a place out in BFE and Oregon backroads are great....

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM

You'll catch on quickly from here on out. I've been riding for 2 weeks(as of today) plus taking the motorcycle safety course. I've put 600 miles on my new bike. Once you start to get the hang of it you'll want to ride all the time. Me putting so many miles on my bike is mostly because of where I live. Nearly unpopulated mile after mile out here. You can ride for 50 miles and not see another car. Maybe you could trailer your bike out to somewhere remote so you can concentrate on riding instead of being nervous about other traffic. Congrats on your progress so far!

Big Bend Texas
2006 750
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 AM

Going to the gas station for the first time is definitely a rights of passage milestone.
You will have seen from this site that in the middle of a journey these bikes can be troublesome to start when hot - like when you stop to refuel. If your bike is like this then just take your time and don't hurry - it just needs to cool a little. Keep the bursts on the starter fairly short and don't worry unduly if you get a backfire. If it takes a while you may drain the battery which is why an MF battery is very important.
A couple of other small points for a total beginner - when you ride make sure you are in the middle of your lane so the car behind has to treat you like you are another car. Don't drift to the right hand side like you are a bicycle.
Also remember that car drivers have a blind spot over their left shoulder - they can't see you and you may be out of range of their wing mirror. DOn't spend any amount of time riding along side a vehicle level with the passenger or close to the rear - like when you are trying to overtake in traffic. You are invisible and the driver may pull over and knock you off. Do your manouevre or back off.
You also have a blind spot on both sides that the wing mirrors can't see. NEVER take it for granted it is OK to change your position in the road or make a turn without looking over the relevant shoulder first. In the UK this look before manouevering is called a life-saver - and that's exactly what it does.
Simon

Last edited by Simon; 08-10-2007 at 03:56 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

That's good to hear Vulcaneyez!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneyez View Post
I do need to practice pulling off and panic stopping though.
And I feel like I practice every time I'm out riding. Always learning, always paying attention, always expecting the unexpected.
For there will no doubt be some day when all the practice (even if you've been riding for years) will be needed to avoid a dangerous situation.
If ya take your riding experience for granted, it means your not paying attention. That means you're asking for trouble.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride !!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Benjammin'

I remember my first pavement passage. Man, the feeling of freedom. Keep the respect and you will be fine.

Swamp Rat- Though I grew up riding dirt bikes illegally on the streets, my first 'official' pavement ride was my '73 CB350. Even back then, I had to have aftermarket loud pipes! Some things don't change. I miss that bike.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.