Need some Help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Need some Help

I just bought an 86. The PO said that it had been sitting for a couple of years. I just took the tank off because some of the fuel lines need to be replaced. While I am there I am wondering what else I should do? I was thinking of tuning it up. As this is my first bike I am not sure what I will need for a complete tune up. I know the plugs and wires but what else would I need. Then once I get it back together I have seen where sea foam is highly recomended. Any suggestions would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome and congrats on your purchase!! That's exciting - lots of 86 owners here, so plenty of company.

For a basic tune-up, I'd do at least the following:

change the oil and filter
change the radiator fluid
change the fuel lines and any other piece of hosing that looks like it might be dry-rotted or cracked - this will include vacuum lines, hoses coming from the air box to the reed valves, anything.
Check your cables and make sure they're in good shape and that you still have room to adjust them out - choke, clutch, two throttle cables, and the cable running to your rear brake
Look at your wiring on the harness and coming off the harness - anything chipped?cracked? split? Burnt? For the former three, you can tape over; for the latter, you should replace.
Check the battery - you'll want a maintenance-free battery as soon as you can afford one. If the one in the bike isn't an MF, then check the fluid levels and make sure it's carrying a full charge
Seafoam the carbs and see how they do - if they're gummy or not running well, you can always pull 'em and repalce gaskets, as needed (since gaskets can dry-rot like hoses).
Clean your air filters - pull off the housing covers, unscrew the filters; if they're foam and in good shape, you can wash them with Dawn, rinse really well, dry them, and then soak them in motor oil - squeeze out the excess so you just have a piece of foam with oil on it, and reinstall. If they're crumbling, replace 'em with new ones.

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of; I'm sure others will have additional "must dos"!

C
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Welcome - When I got my "86" back in 2004 she had been sitting for a few years as well. Bike would not even start till the carbs were pulled and cleaned. Here's a few more items to check: 1. Check the splines (probably dry). 2. Check the radiator fluid (most likely old if bike been sitting a few years).

Mike B.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Search Goddess

Don't stop at the radiator, do a complete fluids change. Chances are if you look in the sight glass of the Master Cylinder you will see murky brown fluid instead of a nice amber color. Brake fluid will gather moisture as it sits through the seasons and the brakes will be spongy.
As Cindy mentioned, you pretty much want to go through the complete "maintenance". That way you know when everything needs to be maintained next and you also know you are starting out with the right stuff.
Any carbs that have sat for awhile will most likely need cleaning. If you are lucky some double doses of seafoam will remove any residual gas varnish if they had drained the carbs before storing.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Air filters, oil filter / oil change, and MF batery were all long ovedue when I purchased my 86.

Check your brake fluid, I was almost dry.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the suggestions I will start with these real soon. Want to get on the road
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM

This is nothing to do with the bike, but I was just wondering where it is you go to put in the info that shows up under your name about your bikes?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 AM

At the top of the forum click the link for "USER CP".
Then on the left click "Edit Signature"
After putting in your "sig" click save at the bottom and you will be all set.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM

As everyone has said, Welcome.

I have to agree with what has been said so far. I have done all of the things listed to my '85 700. I just completed a carb cleaning 2 months ago. One thing you want to check if you do is all of the rubber in the carbs. Mainly gaskets and diaphragms. I have been riding mine for about a month, and Sunday when I got it home, the garage (and subsequently the house) started smelling like gasoline. As it turns out, it was the idle enrichment diaphragm.

Check all your rubber parts among everything else...

--Storm
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks Lancer! I think I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement