Help me diagnose my starting / dying problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Help me diagnose my starting / dying problem

I ran into my first problem with my new (new to me) bike yesterday. I went to go for a short ride last night and when I tried to start the bike, it had problems starting. The only way I could get it to start (and stay running) was to keep the RPMs pretty high. This continued on through the first leg of the ride (only about 5 miles). The bike sat for about 2 hours and the same situation occurred on the ride home. If I came to a stop light, etc. I had to keep the bike revving at pretty high RPMs to keep it from stalling. I went out to the garage this morning and everything started up just as it has ever since I bought the bike (about two weeks ago) and it had no problems running / staying running. I let it warm up for a bit with the choke on, turned the choke off after about 5 minutes and it idled nicely at about 900 rpms like it always has.

All indications from the Vulcan Versus and other posts lead me to believe I'd better be changing to a MF battery for one thing...but there seems to be other problems in various posts that could present in a similar way. Is it possible that I just flooded it somehow and this was a one time ordeal? Obviously the person that sold me the bike did not indicate that this was ever a problem in the past. I do know that he had the carbs re-built pretty much right before I bought the bike and the only other thing I could think of that I've done since I bought the bike that could cause a problem like this is switch it from running premium to regular 87 octane gasoline.

I just want to make sure that I'm barking up the right tree and that I should spend the time / $$ going out and buying a new battery.

Thanks again for all the great information out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hi, Brandon - You may have had a little crud in the fuel line that finally worked its way out. If you've been reading the Verses, have you given your bike a good shot of Seafoam? Seems to help clear out some of the junk that gets into our gasoline these days (and 87 octane is fine). Someone else can weigh in on this, but 900 rpms at idle is just a tad low - I don't think that's the source of whatever happened to you last night, but Clymer's recommends around 1100 at idle.

That notwithstanding, definitely buy yourself a MF battery - seriously, worth every penny.

C
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Did you charge the battery overnite after your problem? Was it charged when you first experienced the problem? Perhaps there was a little water in the fuel? I think Cindy is right, start with the easy fix like Seafoam and just keep a record of when/if the problem occurs again and under what circumstances (humid, hot, etc.). Seafoam will certainly take care of moisture.

Ever since I had my stator problem I've got stator-phobia, it just presented itself in so many ways. And it doesn't just go bad, it goes over time which makes you crazy. Doubt it's your problem, but read about it - it will happen. Also move your regulator/rectifier, an easy little job.

900 is a bit low, I like mine to idle just over 1K.

Good luck, keep us posted.

1986 Vulcan 750
Newbie rider (2006) and lovin' it.
Always appreciate bike tips!
r/r relocated, stator replaced (by mech).
My splines are fine!
Kury ISO grips, throttle boss, wide levers and Vista Cruise.
Marbled (copper plumbing caps)
22,392 as of 8/1/07 (about 1,500 are mine)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I did not charge the battery (just let it sit overnight in the garage) and to my knowledge it was sufficiently charged when I started experiencing the problem (since it took me about 5 minutes of playing around to even get it to the point that I could keep it running, I'm assuming battery had adequate charge). Heat / Humidity was another thing that crossed my mind..and it was hot and humid yesterday, but not any worse than it has been on other days when things seemed to go well. I think I have the stator problem in the back of my head also and am dreading having to tear into the bike that much considering my limited mechanical ability....so we'll see where the SeaFoam gets me and go from there.

Thanks again for the help. I will update if I experience something similar after some seafoam.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Went for a pretty good ride last night, and then rode to work again this morning and no more problems. My tank is almost empty, so I'll be doing the SeaFoam as a precaution when I fill up, but so far so good. Thanks again for all of the advice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think we should get Seafoam to sponsor the website!

C
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM

No joke. Word of mouth must sell a ton of that stuff on this site alone. But hey, it works.

I wonder if they're a public company?

1986 Vulcan 750
Newbie rider (2006) and lovin' it.
Always appreciate bike tips!
r/r relocated, stator replaced (by mech).
My splines are fine!
Kury ISO grips, throttle boss, wide levers and Vista Cruise.
Marbled (copper plumbing caps)
22,392 as of 8/1/07 (about 1,500 are mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement