Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Added heat sink for R+R

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  HotRodPro 
#1 ·
Wood Floor Metal

This is the material that I found to make a extra added heat sink for the R+R
Technology Auto part Vehicle Machine Metal

The picture is not great but I drilled holes and bolted said piece to back of R+R on the relocation bracket. This should act like a extra heat sink to help disapate the heat and help keep the R+R cooler. What do you think
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Also used this materiel to make my own floor boards

See less See more
#5 ·
Great idea. let us know how it works out.

#7 ·
Just adding a piece of 'plate' aluminum wouldn't be of much help.
You need cooling fins of some type to help dissipate the heat from the R/R.
There's already fins on one side, so adding some more on the other side will cool it that much better. And it works best if the surface of the R/R and the surface of the finned aluminum material are making as much contact as possible (as in, both pieces being as flat as possible)

Kind of like the fins on the radiator. Ya don't really need them, because you have the tubes filled with coolant that have air going past them, cooling them down, but with the fins, it works much better.

Does that help ya understand the idea any better? Or just make it more confusing? LOL

#8 ·
I think you guys are onto a good idea (sort of). I doubt there's need for any more cooling once the R/R has been relocated, especially since it's away from the exhaust crossover tube.

If I were adding the aluminum extrusion to the back of the R/R, I'd mill the back surface of the R/R flat so that there is as much of the R/R casting in contact with the flat side of the extruded plate as possible. Then I'd slather on some heat conductive silicon grease before bolting the two together.

Good luck and post lots of pictures.

#10 ·
Go to the elecronic store and pick up some dielectric grease. It bridges any noncontact areas and transfers heat. Never used it on a weather exposed area and would be curious how it worked. before washing out. A lot of high power heat sinked transisters use this in addition to a heatsink.

#11 ·
The fins on a heatsink (or radiator in hyper's example) creates more surface area. With an increased surface area you allow more air to pass across it and dissipate more heat. That's why there are already fins built into the R/R. Adding more fins creates more surface area. Kind of like the heatsink on your processor.

#13 ·
just a cumputer cpu fan on the r&r works for me

#14 ·
Ok. who's up for a contest? PIMP your R+R.

1. heat sink (shape, how is it attached and etc)
2. fan (lots of choices here) Mine would be solar lol
3. lighting?

Mine would have VN750 logo on it.

#16 ·
I'm really starting to like this site.

#18 ·
Or on the Front fender with a scoop on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.