Why does my mileage suck? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Why does my mileage suck?

I see in lots of threads folks saying they get 130, 140 even 150 miles from a tank of gas. The most I've ever gotten after having to switch to reserve is 117 (I was on fumes!), and mostly I have to go to reserve at 95 or 100 miles. I generally refill before 100 miles just to be safe, and I never assume that I'll get more than that. It doesn't seem to matter much whether it's highway or city miles, that's all I get. Could my odometer be wrong? I do know that when I ride with my buddy who has an old Silverwing the trip mileage on the two odometers is always different. His will read 10 or 15 miles further on a 100-120 mile trip. I am positive that my speedo is at least 10% high and maybe even more. Is it riding style? I don't think I over-accelerate too much. I do like to twist the throttle good now and then, but that's what it's for, right? Is it weight? I do weigh around 300. Maybe it's just you skinny guys getting good mileage. Could be all of the above I suppose. If so I can live with it. Just doesn't make sense that mileage should be so different from one virtually identical bike to another.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Drive less, ride more...

I'd be curious to see what your spark plugs look like after several thousand miles. Do they look like your mixture is running rich? How old are your spark plugs? When was the last time your bike had a good carb sync?

Several (other) factors can of course be a contributor to poor mileage. When was the last time you cleaned your air filters? Do you keep your foot in it (so to speak) when you're on the highway? What tire air pressures are you running? Is your exhaust system stock--or not?

Most of the better mileage I've been getting is while running between 55 to 65 mph. I ride solo, and weigh 185 lbs.

And yes, my speedo readings are typically about 10% high, according to my GPS unit.

In your case, I would definitely look further into it, as some report better mileage than I'm getting. And that's with more weight on board.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
My milage whent up whe I put on my summer sheld, smaller and pushing le3ss air, now I get 140 with normal riding before I hit reserve, If I go 65+ for a while it drops. With the Plex III on I get 130 with normal driving.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I just changed out to Irridium plugs last winter as I was getting it ready to ride this spring. The ones I changed out from had approx 5000 miles and were all pretty clean. I do the seafoam treatment regularly. I have not checked the air filters. I need to do that. Tires are 32 front/34 rear.

I do know that when I made a quick run from here to KC and back I got really crappy mileage cuz I had it rev'd out going 80 + alot of the time. I hit reserve at 85 miles a couple of times that trip.

I guess it's probably weight as much as anything. Would you still get higher than 40 mph with your 120lb GF on the back?

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I also think that my speedo is about 5 miles too fast. According to my the mileage that I show and the amuont of fuel I refill I get about 48-50 mpg. And the tank should be 3.4 gallons I belive, I have hardly ever used more than 2 gallons at a fill up. I have never used reserve. I ussually go at most 120 miles before fill ups.
Is your front tire the original size? If it is bigger you will clock less miles.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement