Oil Viscosity. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Cool Oil Viscosity.

The Manual recommends 10/40 10/50 20/40 20/50.
So I guess the 10 range is meant for cooler climates with slower warm ups, and the 20 range is meant for warmer morning starts, and the 40 and 50 top figures are meant for holding viscosity at operating temperatures.
It has been long known that too heavy oil is harder to circulate cold, and gives rise to premature engine wear factors. The high end figures of 40 to 50 weight oil, I guess again are for people who run harder and hotter, or alternately for engines that have a good degree of wear.
The factory sets the run temperature of the engine oil to 194 F, and the water temp thermostat at 174 F to 185 F from memory, so the 10 weight difference between the two low end recommended viscosity's 10 and 20 base, and the 10 weight difference high end 40 and 50 top weight.
Out of all this,does this mean that at some point the 40 weight is going to thin too much at full temperature, needing heavier oil or a cooler? I also wonder about heat transfer comparitivly between heavier and lighter oil. I also find it interesting that hydraulics run light oil is this for heat or some other reason?
I have 10/50 Penrite in my bike,and have noticed if I leave it on the side stand over night, it will puff a bit of white to grey smoke till warm. left on the centre stand ,no smoke. Perhaps it's a worn guide and or I should have used a 20/50 oil,with a bit more body cold. What's your thinking?

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.

Last edited by Big Nick; 03-07-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Old Fart

Garage
My thinking is you pick an oil based on the tempature it will be outside while your riding. I think the manual basicly says this.
I'd use 10w40 all season myself, but I think if you live where it's ungodly hot and ride, the 20w50 makes more sense, and to top that is also reccomend you use a synthetic.

White smoke is usually an indicator of a coolant link, but in your case the difference might just be having more condensation collect in the pipe when the bikes leaned over.

Not many folks live and ride in tempatures that actually require a 10w (or 20w) oil......but the bike was designed to run multivise oil, and I don't really think there's helluva difference between the 40 and 50.
I think I'm using 15w50 right now... Can't remember.

Hydraulic systems use light oil because the oil isn't lubricating moving parts that are under any significant pressure.

And I'm not getting into that whole oil cooler thing until Wolf re-opens the other thread.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-07-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
My thinking is you pick an oil based on the tempature it will be outside while your riding. I think the manual basicly says this.
I'd use 10w40 all season myself, but I think if you live where it's ungodly hot and ride, the 20w50 makes more sense, and to top that is also reccomend you use a synthetic.

White smoke is usually an indicator of a coolant link, but in your case the difference might just be having more condensation collect in the pipe when the bikes leaned over.

Not many folks live and ride in tempatures that actually require a 10w (or 20w) oil......but the bike was designed to run multivise oil, and I don't really think there's helluva difference between the 40 and 50.
I think I'm using 15w50 right now... Can't remember.

Hydraulic systems use light oil because the oil isn't lubricating moving parts that are under any significant pressure.

And I'm not getting into that whole oil cooler thing until Wolf re-opens the other thread.
pretty much the same for me KM. although I have 10w40 in mine right now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
The factory sets the run temperature of the engine oil to 194 F, and the water temp thermostat at 174 F to 185 F from memory,
I do not know where you got that , but those temperatures are optimum. If anything the water temp is a hair low.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
I do not know where you got that , but those temperatures are optimum. If anything the water temp is a hair low.
The figures quoted from the Kawasaki service Manual,
6.4 engine lubrication systems, oil grades and Temp.
3.3 Water capacity and thermostat specs.
Also mentions oil pressure to be read at 4000 rpm ??? "43 to 51 psi"
I should fit an oil gauge and read it at Idle, I've been told as long as there is even a couple of psi, it's ok.

The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
170 rear tyre
Solo mod
Six pack rack
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Shows 67000 kms
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM

First...dont go by the Kawi manual....oils have changed....In a HOT environ, a 10-50 would be ok....normally a 10-40 is the best all around...most have found that Castrol auto oil works best. Some will chime in with the Amsoil and Rotella spiel, but they dont seem to be as friendly to our clutches....

And WTF ????....we gottya have at least 40 posts all askin the same....

..."another fookin oil thread"......this is why I wanna live deep in the woods with limited internet....sheit here recently has been pissin me off...

Not singling you out Nick, yer a good Joe....but why in the fook cant anyone just board search ????....I can see Nick, he's an Aussie, mebbe 56k ()....but a few others have been really pissin me off.....stupid questions, when all the answers are here, have been discussed, and results stated.....

Those who have been abusing it, you know who you are, Soon, when a question comes up thats been answered in countless threads, Im gonna just start deleting em. It causes confusion for others,

Again, Nick....sorry I posted this here....wasnt aimed at you specifically bro...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Been running 10/40 for years now in a fairly warm area, No problems.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Me good. Speaking of board searching,I used the internal search engine on idle issues and found some very good advise and information, from anothers thread.

The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
170 rear tyre
Solo mod
Six pack rack
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Shows 67000 kms
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Something to keep in mind. The site search function is pretty poor. While I don't like Google I've gotten much better results finding subjects here by using google, put in my search terms, and then vn750. notes from this board usually show pretty high in the google results. Another member on this site who works in computers uses the same method for searching.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
Something to keep in mind. The site search function is pretty poor. While I don't like Google I've gotten much better results finding subjects here by using google, put in my search terms, and then vn750. notes from this board usually show pretty high in the google results. Another member on this site who works in computers uses the same method for searching.
Yes.

I lurked for some time and yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement