Kickstand? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Kickstand?

I suppose it's not specifically an vn750 question, but it pertains to mine...

After toasting my original motor on the way to florida, my uncle helped cinch down the bike on the trailer. I guess my uncle has superhuman strength and never told me, as after he got done attaching the tow strap on the rear, I realized that the kickstand had bent, leaving the bike at an ungodly angle that wouldn't support the weight anymore.

The kickstand is bent at where the 1/4" plate meets the frame. I've got a good kickstand from a spare frame that I could potentially use. The question I've got is, would it be easier/better/safer to grind off the old(bent) kickstand and replace it with the known good one, or should I try and bend the current kickstand back to where it should be, then weld in a small support to ensure the weakened metal will withstand the weight of the bike?

My overzealous mechanical maniac boss said grind the bent one off and replace it with the known good one, but I'm afraid I'll screw up the alignment when welding the new one in place, or heat-warp the frame. My dad suggested just bending the original piece back in place, but I haven't yet figured out how to apply enough force to the end of the kickstand so that I can bend it back in position...

Any thoughts/input is appreciated, as this is something I'm going to tackle in the new few weekends.

-Kenny-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

If properly welded, I wouldn't see a problem with warping.

If you just bend it back, the metal will be fatigued at the bend and would be that much easier to bend again.
To do that properly, you'd need to heat it up pretty good, which brings ya right back to the warping concerns.

Do ya happen to have a pic to show how bent it is? That'd help with which plan of attack could be best.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Search Goddess

Are you saying the part that holds the kickstand is bent or just the kickstand itself?
If it is just the kickstand, it is easy enough to replace with your spare. (We are talking about a VN750 right?)
BTW you might want to tell your Uncle that you never cinch a bike down fully, that is a good way to blow seals in the shocks

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
BTW you might want to tell your Uncle that you never cinch a bike down fully, that is a good way to blow seals in the shocks
Is that for the rear as well as the front? Usually I have the rear tight and back off on the front a little.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Search Goddess

Granted, most of the write-ups I have seen only talk about the front.
Usually with multiple tie down points, all the compression needed is someone sitting on the bike.
Personal opinion, I don't think it is a good ides to have the shocks fully compressed for a lengthy amount of time. It just seems to put them under too much stress.
I guess my question would be.. Would you ride your bike with the rear shocks fully compressed? Outside of it now being a hardtail what other concerns would you have?

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you.

The kickstand is bent up about 15-20 degrees. When the bike is placed on the kickstand, the lean angle is too great and the bike tries to topple over to the left.

At the moment, i'm focusing on the motor itself and not paying too much attention to the kickstand. When I disconnected the radiator last night to pull the motor, I had beautiful green coolant coming from the radiator, and hideous, nasty brown sludge oozing out of the motor. I'm guessing, for some reason, it's not pumping coolant through the system. I've also still got that jerry-rigged shift linkage on it, so I think I'm just gonna tear the whole thing down and build it back up right.

-Kenny-
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Heat it up enough to bend back into place and run a bead on both sides and that should take care of the problem.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

MAN! he musta really cranked that thing down!! That's a pretty hefty chunk of metal there.

Tell ya what, I have a eBay frame I cut up that I was going to use for modding a removable left frame section.
If ya want it, I'll cut that piece off my scrap frame and send it to ya, for just the shipping price. (probably only a few $$'s)
Like I said before, if ya have a competent welder (who isn't in a hurry) do it, it should be good as new. (just be really careful when/if ya cut yours off, that ya don't cut into the frame at all!!)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer Hyper! I've got a spare frame as well, but after some thought and discussion, decided the best path would be to bend the piece back to shape and reinforce with two small gussets on the underside. I'll likely have this fix done sometime this week and will post pictures when things are back together. Thanks again for everyone's help!

-Kenny-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement