Too small for 2 up? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Too small for 2 up?

I am a big guy. 5'9" 250. My wife is the same. This is my first motorcycle.

I really bought this bike for her, with intentions of getting something else for me later on. Well, I laid it down the first time I pulled it out of the driveway. The whole neighborhood just had to be watching too, including my wife.

She's afraid to ride now, (and I am not pressuring her about it) since she saw me go down.

I've had her sit on the back and with both of us on the bike, I am pushed up the gas tank in a very uncomfortable position. My son was dropped off at my job today and rode home with me on the bike. (my first passenger) It was fine but his legs were kinda uncomfortable in the back of my sides. He's 15 years old, about 5'9" and maybe 140 lbs.

I could see potential to have a lot of fun on this bike, and I am REALLY enjoying it. But there is no way my wife and I can both ride this one bike together.

Looks like I'll either have to convince her she CAN ride it, and then get a second bike, OR I'll have to go bigger so we cna 2 up.

I think she'd prefer not to be in control of the bike. Too bad, I really wanted her to be my riding buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm 6'2" and there is no way I can comfortably ride with a passenger on our 750's. I have even had my 9 year old son on the back a couple of times and felt pushed up too far. I guess my feeling is in this day and age, (and I stress, this is just my opinion) that there are so many women riders out there now it almost looks sexist to me to have your s.o. riding "bitch". I have some neighbors that have 5 motorcycles between the husband and wife and they take off almost every weekend for a two day trip. I don't think I have ever seen a happier couple. They don't even use the two way communication devices to talk to each other from bike to bike, just ride and smile at each other........

Stevie D.
Chicago
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Probably the best thing would be to talk her into taking a Motorcycle Safety Course.

It will build her confidence and give her the skills she will need to ride safely.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
85 VN 700

The VN is definitely a bit small to have a passenger. It's got plenty of power but the damn engineer that designed the seat... well they must have been 100 lbs and had a 90 lb S.O. I do ride with my wife semi-frequently - but it's taken some adjustments - I'm 240 she's not a big gal.

I would encourage you, however, to avoid riding with a passenger till you have at least a few thousand miles under your belt (and I second the MSF course recommendation) - the dynamics of riding are far different with a passenger - I have around 30k miles on a bike under my belt and still feel a bit iffy about having my wife "riding bitch" (she doesn't want her own bike).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:03 PM

WOW,

U got to be kidding me Im 6' 4" 300+ pounds and Malana my GF is 5' 9" (and as a gentelmen i will not discuss her weight)and we love to ride 2 up on Lulu. It is nice and cozy and my GF loves it (Well not so much no that she is Preggers). But before that we would ride every where togeather even trips to Pacerville or Jackson Ca from Sacramento (Both Up Hill) Lulu tore up the black top at 75 mph. We rode 2 up on the stock seat and on my mustang with stock shocks and with my 418 progs. Its better now with the changes but its really not that much diffrence.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm still a beginner at this, but I've felt comfortable enough to start riding two-up and have done so a few times.

I'm 6'0" 215 and my girlfriend is a bit shorter and I'll pull the gentleman route and not discuss weight. She loves riding and was kicking me for the 2+ months i said i wasn't comfortable with a passenger.

Anyways, extended backrest, banana seat she's happy with the back support, but not comfortable with the sinking feeling and sliding forward. I felt a little crowded, but not that much. Extended trips would do me in like that rides for fun I could do.

Got a mustang seat recently, took her for a ride or two 2-up . . . not as big a fan, mostly because i couldn't fit the extended pad on the bike with the new seat so not-so-good back support for her. Gave her sister a lift (her first time on a bike, that was fun) who is a stick of a girl and she didn't complain about any discomfert and i found that I had just as much room as I normally do.

So all-in-all, I think sizing/seat/passenger dynamic come in to the equation. Different strokes and all that.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=svarog;38724]
Got a mustang seat recently, took her for a ride or two 2-up . . . not as big a fan, mostly because i couldn't fit the extended pad on the bike with the new seat so not-so-good back support for her. Gave her sister a lift (her first time on a bike, that was fun) who is a stick of a girl and she didn't complain about any discomfert and i found that I had just as much room as I normally do.QUOTE]

I have the Mustang seat and extended backrest. They will fit together, although rather snugly. I had to push the pad down pretty hard to get the holes to line up.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I have the Corbin seat with the extended backrest and my wife doesn’t think it’s comfortable. Neither of us are big people. She wants the “Goldwing” seat. Looks like I will be ridding alone. I enjoy that better anyway.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
I have the Mustang seat and extended backrest. They will fit together, although rather snugly. I had to push the pad down pretty hard to get the holes to line up.
True. I was concerned with squishing/deforming that portion of the mustang seat. I was intending to see if there was anything i could shave on the upper rest for a better fit.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Search Goddess

I'm all for her taking the MSF course.
I never rode at all before I got my bike. It sat in the garage while I waited for my course. Of course my husband was happy to excercise the bike for me.
I use to go out and sit on it and look things over, and finally asked him..
Ok, so how do you shift this thing and how do you know wha gear you are in?
(Yes, I was that much of a newbie to being up on the forward seat!)
Out of the 8 that took the course, 2 dropped out because they found out they just didn't take to riding and preferred the passenger seat instead.
I figure the $125 they paid for the course was a whole lot better than paying a couple of thousand for a bike and finding out then..
The mustang seat will provide a bit more room, but overall, a bigger bike will provide better comfort for everyone for 2-up.
Once again.. have her take the course. I dumped the bike during the course and couldn't ride for a year after that, but the bug already bit me and now my husband complains that I never ride with him any more. course not.. I ride my own!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement