Venting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Venting

So i'm usually not prone to starting a thread to vent . . . but i think i need to.

Woke up. Gorgeous day. Get my gear together to ride to work. Go out to my bike.
It's blocked in. This at once impresses and infuriates me.

I parked my bike in a standard car-sized spot, backed the back tire up to the curb . . . even parked in a spot that a car wouldn't usually take (low hanging branges that scratch the top of a car). Some moron pulled his car into the spot and pushed it close enough that i can't actually swivel the tire.

The humor here is that i went to my apartment's office to complain about it and they say 'you can't park your motorcycle in a car spot' . . . . . . . . . .

Yeah. So aside from needing to check my apartment/condo agreement for stupidity it took nearly an hour to try to find the guy who owned the car (no luck) explain to the office that i was more than willing to move my bike to a 'designated space' if there were any available (they were doing construction on two and the other had 3 bikes crammed into the space designed for one car) or if i could move my bike out of the current space.

An hour out of my day for an inconsiderate cager. . . the office was willing to have him towed . . . and i should have, but i didn't have that long to wait.

Gah!

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, this might be offtopic for general. If someone wants to move it to the goats belly, please do.

Falls Church, VA
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
85 VN 700

isnt that why ya always have a redneck buddy with a 4X4?...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 AM

I have my own 4x4.... two of em actualy.

Uh, now that you mention it, I am a redneck too!

But there is no way to move somones parked car without damaging it AND doing somehting illeagal.

When parking in car sized spaces I've been parking my bike to the outer edge so people who might think it's an empty spot can see my bike before they try to pull in. This should also help keep them from blocking me in there unless they park on the street in front of the spot. In wich case, getting them towed and or ticketed should be no problem.

Good luck w your apartment manager. Where do they expect you to park? Isnt it illeagal to park bikes on the sidewalk? Unless I am mistaken a motorcycle has all the same rights as a car.

I dont normaly lock my handlebars for short stops. Dont dare let me come out of a store or, bank or somethign and catch you trying to move my bike........ oooo my! Big mad redneck looking at you touching his toys. "RAWR!"

Last edited by vn750joe; 07-24-2007 at 11:18 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That is why when I pullin into a spot I do not leave enough room to put a car in it, If they do I have the end of the spot to move.
Did your appt, give you a place to put yout bike in, or just use the sidewalk

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
That is why when I pullin into a spot I do not leave enough room to put a car in it, If they do I have the end of the spot to move.
Did your appt, give you a place to put yout bike in, or just use the sidewalk
There are three 'motorcycle spots' in a shared lot for near 350 apartments. I've noticed between 3-5 bikes in the lot at times. Sometimes people will double up, but usually it's one bike per spot (i.e. the 'motorcycle spots' are just regular car sized spots with 'motorcycle parking only' signed above it).

The real issue is that two of the three bike spots were taken up by construction over the past few days.

The attitude that 'oh, no motorcycle spots left, can't park on the property' infuriates me. It's equivalent to saying 'no handicapped spots left, can't take a regular spot' or 'no registered spots left, can't take a guest spot'.

Unfortunately i don't pay fees . . . my landlord does (he owns the apartment, i rent from him). So i feel like i have a little less room to yell, but still . . . asinine.

Falls Church, VA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Angry

Your aptmnt complex said, "you can't park your bike in a car parking space"....but I'd be curious if they can actually show you that in black and white anywhere in your rental agreement paperwork.

If they can, do let us know....

I had a similiar experience not too long ago with the manager of a library.

Unfortunately, much of our society still has absolutely no respect for motorcycles and scooters, even though they are an obvious solution to our country's energy and traffic gridlock problems.

In short, I DO feel your pain.......

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 AM
85 VN 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn750joe View Post
I have my own 4x4.... two of em actualy.

Uh, now that you mention it, I am a redneck too!

But there is no way to move somones parked car without damaging it AND doing somehting illeagal.

Who said anything about "doing it legal" and not damaging the dipsh.ts car? <g>

I'd be fighting the managers on the "no bikes in car spots" thing - bikes generaly have their own spots to park in such places so that bikes can park in such a way that another bike can use the same spot - 3-5 bikes in the spot that ONE car can fit in - but if there's no bike spots left you have every right to use a "normal" parking spot.

Then again - I'm just a damn redneck - sans truck though ;-)

When I park in a "normal" spot - I park in such a way that another bike could fit if need be but cagers will see the bike and not think it's an empty spot - and most importantly I don't get blocked in... If I'd been blocked in like you had I probably would have done something stupid and damaged the car, my bike, myself, the property or any combination of the same - but I would have gotten out ;-)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Who said anything about "doing it legal" and not damaging the ******car? <g>

... If I'd been blocked in like you had I probably would have done something stupid and damaged the car, my bike, myself, the property or any combination of the same - but I would have gotten out ;-)
I have to make every effort to stay in the right. That way when I do loose my cool, everyone can see I was completely justified.
Just because I am blocked in and inconvenienced by somone's lack of manners doesnt mean that I need to barge off and loose my manners too. Let the cooler heads prevail!

Another thing to concider when blowing your top is that your bike is probably a LOT more vulnerable to sabatage at night while you sleep (perhaps even months after the incident) than thier car is. For that matter it's also possible the car belongs to a visitor and may never be seen there again. So if you did somehting to thier car, they may be able to REALLY take it out on your bike later on and you'd never even know where to look to pay them back.

I have to work, you wont catch me up at 3 am. That's a good time to do something nasty to my bike. Though I dont live in an APT complex anymore. I live in a neighborhood of rednecks with dogs. You cant prowl around without causing some commotion. If you are lucky, you'll only have to deal with the dogs. If your not lucky you may have to deal with shotguns.

lastly even if I distro the other person's car, and beat them to a pulp, I wouldnt feel any better about having to fix my bike.

I'll have to try to remember about possible motorcycle only parking spaces as I visit around. I dont think I've ever seen one here.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM
85 VN 700

Just so ya know that was said in jest <g>.

I do my best to keep my cool - don't wanna add to the bad "biker" rep by "acting a fool"

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

Sponsored Links
Advertisement