I'm Legal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Talking I'm Legal

Been riding for 5 years on an MC Learners Permit. In North Carolina, learners can do anything a licensed rider can do, except carry a passenger. Not that I've hesitated to carry a passenger, although on a stock seat, I didn't ride 2-up a whole lot. And the learners had to be renewed every year, unlike the license which is good for six. IN five years I only actually remembered to go renew it once, so that tells you how much I was riding on an expired permit. I found out the hard way that Virginia requires learners to always be accompanied by a licensed rider (within 50 feet at all times). So every time I headed up on the parkway I was being a scofflaw.

Well, I noticed before MMM that my current permit had actually expired last September. I had always intended to take the MSF course, which in NC takes the place of your 'driving' test for license purposes. But I figured if I was going to have to take a half day off to go wait at the DMV, I might as well go ahead and get all the way legal.

They only offer the skills test twice a day, at 830 and 230 so you have to be there ahead of time and be waiting for them. The examiner was a pretty decent guy. He came out at 230 and asked for all of those waiting for MC endorsements to come up. There were rain clouds threatening and they have to stop testing when the first drops fall. So instead of doing us one at a time, he had all three of us pull our bikes around at the same time. They first check for inspection, current tag, signals, etc. That culled one of us out right away because he had an NC tag but VA inspection sticker. Then he let the two of us remaining basically take the test at the same time.

The skills test was 5 passes through a course consisting of about 8 cones over probably 40 feet. You had to slalom (serpentine) up and back for one pass. The second pass was to show you could shift, as you had to go the length of the course with two shifts (upshift & downshift), turnaround and repeat back to the start. Third pass was supposed to simulate riding in stopped traffic and you had to go up, turnaround and come back as slow as you could without stalling or putting your foot down (I almost told him I could do this test better with a girl on the back and a hot dog hanging from a string. But I figured with my luck, I'd blow the test if I made a smart aleck remark). They time you and you can't finish the course in less than so many seconds. Both I and the other drive (Honda Magna V65) only got about 75% through the course before he signalled us that time was up and we could go faster!. Fourth test was again, he said, supposed to simulate rush hour riding, as we had to accelerate, then pause almost to a stop, then accellerate, without stalling or putting our foot down. We had to do this twice up and then twice back. The last test was supposed to put all the skills together. We had to start at the end of the course and in the first 40 feet shift twice (up & down once each), give a manual signal for a right turn, execute said turn (all the previous turns were leftward...I figured that would be good enough here in NASCAR country), and on the return, shift twice then execute a quick stop when the examiner gave the command without locking or squealing. The other guy went first and he misunderstood the "stop command" notation and thought HE was supposed to signal for the stop instead of the examiner. I said he should have gotten extra credit for that, and making the quick stop with one hand on the bars!

What surprised me was that I have executed everyone of those maneuvers a couple of times over the last week, just riding to work or roaming on Sunday. But I was nervous as hell trying to do this command performance. I made it through, but I think if I had just got my learners, taken the MSF, and tried to do this without a few thousand miles of riding experience, I would not likely have passed. Although in the MSF they use Rebel 250's which may have made it a lot easier.

Oh, and those threatening rain clouds? I felt a single drop right before I began the last test on the course. If he had waited ten minutes, we wouldn't have finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Congrats!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Sounds like you actualy had to do a preformance test.

My test was so short the observer never left the parking lot, and the block I racked was SO small that I didnt even get my feet off the ground untill the last 20 foot or so stint back into the parking space........

It really wasnt even a block..... it was a small buidling on the corner of 2 streets. So you do get one shot to use the blinkers, and one stop sign. If you do that and make it back into the parking lot without dropping the bike, you pass.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Great new !! Congrats

I rode on a permit for about 9 or so years, but most of that was on my dualsport. Finally got the license a few years after I got the Vulcan.

The riding test I got was nothing. Two figure 8's, a stop between the lines, a straight (maybe 100 ft) run, shifting once up then down, the serpentine back, stop between the lines again, done.

Having started riding on a dirtbike, it was all pretty easy, but like ya said, it makes ya a bit nervous when you're trying to make sure ya do it the right way.

And one other thing permit holders in PA can't do besides ride with a passenger, is ride after dark.
Otherwise, if ya got a regular car license, the bike permit works fine.

Also in PA, you used to be able to fill out the app, send your money and eventually get a permit, but just this year they changed it so in order to get the permit, you first have to do the knowledge test.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Great Job Vince. Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement