Please help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Please help!!

Okay I am going to start off by admitting that I am brand new to this and am not afraid to admit it or ask for help. This is the first bike I have owned since owning a brand new crotch rocket back in '96. My 750 is a 1995.

I bought this bike very cheap and knew that it wasn't running when I bought it. The previous owner had bought it but never really done anything with it though he said it was running when he had bought it 2 years prior. The tank was rusted almost completely out and beyond repair. I salvaged the petcock and cleaned that up to seemingly perfect order. I just bought a used tank with a tiny bit of surface rust but mainly just a dust cover then actual rust. I replaced the plugs, changed the oil, and then installed the tank.

I do not have an owners manual so this is the part where I am stuck. I am not sure if there is a choke or something like that to assist in getting the fuel into the engine. I am not entirely sure which was is fuel, reserve, and off on the petcock. The engine attempts to start but will not actually catch and I am not sure if fuel is even getting to the engine or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if there is a choke or primer for the engine and if there is anything that I obviously overlooked. When attempting to start it I have it in neutral and am holding the the clutch in. It has been a long time so maybe that is something that I am doing wrong or overlooking.

Also, does anyone possibly know somewhere I can maybe download the owner manual by chance? I already have the service manual but that doesn't go over the little obvious points like the different setting on the petcock and how to properly start the bike. I hope I am not coming off too unknowing. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 PM

http://tocmanufacturing.com/Files%20...nd%20Parts.pdf

thats link to manual. maybe you connected wrong lines on tank. you want the arrow pointing to on on the petcock. choke is on left hand grip. pull it towards you to set choke.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn6609 View Post
http://tocmanufacturing.com/Files%20...nd%20Parts.pdf

thats link to manual. maybe you connected wrong lines on tank. you want the arrow pointing to on on the petcock. choke is on left hand grip. pull it towards you to set choke.

I will check the choke out. I will also double check the lines to make sure they are properly connected. I already have the service manual, I was hoping that maybe the owners manual might be online somewhere as well. Is there a way to tell if gas is getting into the engine or not? I really appreciate the help.

Last edited by Cardinal Fang; 07-18-2007 at 10:55 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM

guess 1st you need to check that its getting to the carbs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:18 AM

The positions on the petcock is as follows:

Lever down : On
Lever forward: Reserve
Lever back: Off

It should be printed on the petcock. Might be hard to see if it was in bad shape.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM

The choke is on the Left grip next to the turn signal switch.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
I will check the choke out. I will also double check the lines to make sure they are properly connected. I already have the service manual, I was hoping that maybe the owners manual might be online somewhere as well. Is there a way to tell if gas is getting into the engine or not? I really appreciate the help.
Kirk, you can try draining the float bowls on your carbs - that'll let you know if any fuel made it outta the tank or not (if you turn the screw and nothing comes out, then answer is "no"). Just an FYI on the petcock hookup - the center lead out of the petcock is your vacuum lead, and should go to your front cyl vacuum port. The two side leads are for your fuel, and they can go to either carb. Make sure those are on good and snug, esp the vacuum line.

C
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Okay I am stuck now, seems maybe flooded or not getting enough gas or maybe just because the bike has been sitting for so long. I got it to turn over and finally catch and it idled but struggled like it was was getting enough gas or maybe oxygen. It rand for about 10 seconds and died. It wouldn't catch so I let it sit for about 2 minutes and it started but died almost immediately. Any suggestions? I am too excited to be down...I have finally heard what it sounds like. I am sure that it can't be too much more to get it going sem-decent enough to play with the idle and what not.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:49 PM

You need to rebuild those carbs. I bet they are loaded with crap. You could try the easy way first. Get yourself a can of Sea Foam, and dump half of it in the tank. Drain the carb bowls until your sure your getting the gas/seafoam mix. Let it sit for a day then try to start it. Thats the cheapest thing that you can do first. Did you replace the spark plugs yet?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok this is weird and frustrating. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then went back out to try it again. It wouldn't start and I noticed a puddle of gas dripping on the left side of the bike (if you are sitting on the bike it would be your left side) by the center stand. I am guessing a bad hose or something but the new issues is that I just had my battery recharged and now it is dead again. How can I trouble shoot a problem with the battery losing its charge? Any ideas on a hose that would be near the center stand? I didn't see anything obvious and now that the battery is dead I cannot try again to see where the gas is leaking from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement