stator replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

stator replacement

In the middle of a stator replacement on my vn750 20003, when I removed the left engine cover, there was a thin washer , does anyone know the purpose of the washer (oil leak prevention, etc) I'm baffled by it myself, as It doesn't seem like it would sit flush against the c-clip on the shifter. Also when I took cover off, it was sitting in the rotor..
Justin
2003 VN750
23000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:12 PM

Re: stator replacement

Sorry Justin, I don't remember this issue from when I changed my stator back this spring. Good luck. Have you got a good manual or have you looked at the schematics on buykawasaki.com?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

The funny thing is, on the parts breakdown schematic on Kawasaki's site, they don't show it, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong place...the engine covers are what I was referencing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
In the middle of a stator replacement on my vn750 20003, when I removed the left engine cover, there was a thin washer , does anyone know the purpose of the washer (oil leak prevention, etc) I'm baffled by it myself, as It doesn't seem like it would sit flush against the c-clip on the shifter. Also when I took cover off, it was sitting in the rotor..
Justin
2003 VN750
23000 miles
Justin...I'm pretty sure it goes on the shifter spindle, to sit against the circlip when you put the cover on....that's what it looks like in my Clymer's.
Check the electrical file, and download my Stator notes. They may save you some time. Maybe not, but I hope it's going well for you....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Here's my problem.....in my haste to reassemble the motor and after a couple of hours getting the engine back onto the frame, I saw that I left the washer off. AHHHHHH.... . Will this screw something up big time or is it just a precautionary thing on Kawasaki's part.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Search Goddess

Do you have any play in your shifter lever? If it seems about like what you had before, you might be ok..
Still.. if you have some down time.. might not be a bad idea to get it ALL back together. Hopefully it isn't one of those balancer washers that caused Beavis and Cory so much trouble.. but I don't thing it would have showed up where you found it.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Dianna, as much as this has frustrated me and the hassle of backtracking, I think thats what I will do. First thing is to just stop and wait a couple of weeks, than I'll borrow a motorcycle jack for getting the engine to move out of the frame. The other thing that concerns me is stripping threads on the front engine support bracket, since they seem to be going that way, I know every time I remove the engine I invite more possible problems. I've been worried about oil leaking out by the shifter without that washer in and the prospect of tearing it all apart from scratch again if it does....I've been driving my wife crazy with my indecisiveness. Other than that I did fuse the stator wires and will be installing a volt meter for the dash. I'll post more in a couple weeks when I get back to it.

Thanks again all
Justin
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Forum Faciliator

Yep, that is where mine went.

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1515
Justin...I'm pretty sure it goes on the shifter spindle, to sit against the circlip when you put the cover on....that's what it looks like in my Clymer's.
Check the electrical file, and download my Stator notes. They may save you some time. Maybe not, but I hope it's going well for you....

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: stator replacement

Alright..finally finished, replaced everything the right way this time (with washer in and replaced oil seal), put fuses in line, mounted Volt/clock/temp meter on dash, drove it to work this am. It seems to charge OK when cruising down the road anywhere above 2000 RPM it reads 13.6-13.8V which is barely acceptable. The battery I have in it is about a year old and after charging all night it reads 12.4 volts and charger reads full. Suspect a bad battery? Hopefully I don't ruin stator on way home because of it. Any thoughts?

Justin
On the road again
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Alright..finally finished, replaced everything the right way this time (with washer in and replaced oil seal), put fuses in line, mounted Volt/clock/temp meter on dash, drove it to work this am. It seems to charge OK when cruising down the road anywhere above 2000 RPM it reads 13.6-13.8V which is barely acceptable. The battery I have in it is about a year old and after charging all night it reads 12.4 volts and charger reads full. Suspect a bad battery? Hopefully I don't ruin stator on way home because of it. Any thoughts?

Justin
On the road again
Justin...did you replace w/ an Electrex stator?
Still using the OEM RR?
If so on both counts, and assuming your battery is good (MaintFree Yuasa or Westco I hope), you should probably see 14v ~14.5v pretty consistently, depending on how you have your meter hooked up (voltage drop).
There's a pretty good, recent discussion of this in the 'Vendors' section in 'My Electrex experience'.
If you have an Electrex RR, you probably will not get past 14v...I never do.
But there is a mod you can do to make your more stable if it starts to go all over the place.
Check it out and let us know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement