Used bike inspection? '05 - 1,600 miles - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Used bike inspection? '05 - 1,600 miles

I'm really interested in an '05 with 1,600 miles on it at a dealership. I quickly looked it over, and it doesn't appear that it was ever laid down or in an accident.

I've been riding a honda rebel (250 cc's) for a few years, but I'm not a mechanical expert by any means. It's relatively new, no dents or scratches, rust, or any other visual blemishes. Do I really need to do a detailed inspection on the VN 750? It seems too new to have any real problems? Am I wrong?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
You are right it is new, I wish there was a vehicle history report for bikes.
Did you ask why it was there, you will probabley get a line "they got a bigger bike"
You probabley don't have anything to wory about, Have you ridden it yet?
That is the final test.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
85 VN 700

Personally, I feel that EVERY vehicle should be subject to the best inspection you are capable of before buying.

If you buy the bike - definitely check the splines ASAP - seems like 05 was one of the years the lube guy was asleep at the wheel. With 1500 miles the splines would still be good if the guy was asleep - but it's too expensive of a repair to ignore till the 8-10k down the road when you'll have the rear tire off first.

There's plenty of information about spline lubes here - search for "fergy" and click on the link at the bottom of his sig to check out the spline lube procedure (something that needs to be done with ALL shafties - and much less of a PITA as adjusting and lubing a chain constantly).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Drive less, ride more...

An '05 VN750 is an excellent step up from the 250.

I also bought a used '05 model, with a little less than 1,600 miles on the odo.

This '05 bike is really too new, with too few miles, to have much wrong with it yet.

If the bike passes a good visual inspection (no evidence of a drop or spill--be sure to also look at the sides and underneath the pipes for scratches!), then.....

I recommend asking the dealership to do a driveshaft spline inspection, and swap out the battery for a maintenance-free (sealed) one, as part of the deal with you. Explain that the splines have chronically left the factory on late model 750's with little or no lube on them.

Check the battery holder box (and beneath it) for evidence of a battery fluid leak--you'll see corrosion damage (no paint) or evidence of a white/chalky powder. Also, look for corrosion damage on wiring/electricals underneath the battery (e.g., the regulator/rectifier area). This is merely a check for a faulty original battery.

If the splines are found to be dry (or nearly so), have them lubed with a "moly 60" or better compound (like Honda moly), and not just any general purpose grease.

Another good idea is to do a stator/electrical system check (for proper voltage amounts at various rpm's).

There's more info here on this forum for how to do all of the above. Just look around.

And yes, take the bike for a good spin--or have a trusted friend/relative do it, who knows bikes.

This bike has some really handy features on it that are no longer found on most other cruisers. It offers a lot for the money, and is really the last of its kind--for now, anyway.

Good luck with the new ride!!!............
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate all the advice and good wishes. So, I happily bought the bike, it seems to be a good bike for where I live and the kind of riding I do. When I saw the price, i jumped on it. On your advice, I insisted that the dealer lube the spline and I've got a MF battery all set to install. Unfortunately, there has been a small set back, check out my post in the electrics section -

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ed=1#post40181

But, I am happy with it and can't wait to get it back on the road. I ride almost everyday, it's my main source of transportation.

John

Last edited by JohnMack76; 08-12-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: need to attach URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement