Well, since buying a new bike is gonna be a bit expensive, I'm now wondering how much money I would need to get mine in top shape. So let me describe what I remember about the bike before I parked it:
* It made a loud clacking sound that wasn't fixed with MCCTs. I'm guessing I need to replace the dampers (or was it dampeners).
* I probably need a new junction box. I keep having some minor electrical troubles and the box just doesn't look that good. No, I haven't tested it yet. I'm gonna look for the procedure to do so.
* It hasn't given me any stator problems at all, so leave it as it is, or change it out anyway?
* If I'm going through with taking the engine out, what would you guys advice I do to an '85 engine to get it in top shape?
* Last I remember, I might have had a bit of clutch slippage.
* I need to repair front forks and possibly rear shocks, although I'd probably have to check the rear shocks first (tell me how?) I think they do still hold air.
* I need new tires, likely a speedo gear (the one on the front wheel)... and a fuel sending unit, if I'm feeling picky.
* The carbs need drain bowl gaskets and new air cut-off valves. The choke assembly isn't in great shape, probably missing some pieces... but I can still use it.
I already looked up prices for the carb parts... about $100 for a couple o-rings and air cut-off valves. The speed gear varies a lot in price, but it's roughly about $30. For the fork rebuild I'm guessing around $60-$70? Someone correct me if I'm way off.
Couldn't find the rubber dampers on eBay. Anyone know of a good site to order them from?
As far as the clutch, I see different kits. Which would you recommend?
Basically, I want to see how much it would cost to get this bike running like a new bike. The most important or highest priority work would be on the electrical and mechanical side so I can get it running again. After that, I would say tires and suspension work and lastly the details like tachometer, speedometer, fuel gauge, paint, etc.
I only have about $500 to spend on it right now, and about $100 will already go into the carbs. So I want to basically make a prioritized list of parts I'll need and start ordering stuff as I keep putting away money for the bike.
For the electrical work I also made a thread about simplifying the whole wiring to bare essentials.
This is a super long post, but I need a LOT of help with this if I'm gonna make this thing run like new
Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.