Wrecked my bike today :-( - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Wrecked my bike today :-(

Yup,

I took a pretty good tumble today. Those of you from the MD-DC area will know that they've been resurfacing I-270 for the past couple weeks. One lane will be ground down into deep grooves and the next lane is resurfaced, with a 2 inch transition between surfaces. This makes it damn near impossible to change lanes. Usually, though, the ground up portion ends abruptly in a lane so you hit the bump straight on. But, today I was in one of those cross over lanes from the local section to the through section and the cross over lane was ground up and the through section was resurfaced. So, I had to try to hit that section at an angle. Well...I tried. I lost all control and took a pretty nasty spill going 55-60 mph.

Fortunately, I was able to roll onto my back during the slide, so the padding in my jacket took most of the abuse, and fortunately, I was able to roll onto the shoulder without anyone running into me. All things considered, I came out pretty well. I was wearing a Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket, with some of the leather zipped off (exposing mesh underneath). The jacket tore at the seam of the mesh and the leather, and I ended up with a small section of road rash on my left arm. I was also wearing kevlar lined Draggin Jeans. They tore just above the knee where the seam for the kevlar section is, so I got just a small scrape on my left knee. I've got a pretty deep bruise on my right calf and my right shoulder is pretty sore and stiff (though I'm sure that would have been much worse without the padding in my jacket).

So, all in all I'm doing pretty well. Thank God for good equipment.

The bike didn't fare so well. Pretty much everything on the left side has been stripped off. The windshield came off, the headlight and speedometer were broken, the fenders were mangled, the gas tank dented and scraped and the fork is pretty jungled. From what I could tell, though, there was no major structural damage and the engine and drive shaft looked OK. So, I'm not sure if they're going to total it, given that it's a 2006. It would probably be better if they did.

Anyway, I guess I won't be finishing those floorboards any time soon!

Be safe out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

WOW, Bill
Glad you're mostly uninjured!! Another testiment for wearing safety gear!! Those road elevation changes can certainly be tough to negotiate safely. Especially at that speed.
Sorry to hear of the condition of the bike.

Be prepared for alot more soreness and stiff joints tomorrow.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey, Bill - I work in Rockville and know that 270's yucky when it's not being resurfaced. I'm amazed at how well you fared, given that it was...well, 270! And 270 being resurfaced! Probably good that it happened this week, too, when traffic in the DC area is a little lighter than usual.

Glad you're mostly ok, though, and ditto what Hyper said about patin tomorrow. If I were you, I'd think about getting some ibuprofen in me about, oh, a couple of hours ago...

C

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your tumble. I was stationed in DC back in 1983-1985 and I know the roads are never good. Glad you lived thru that with only bumps and burns I hope. Did you get checked at the hosp? If not you should because later you may suffer more from this when you're older. Sorry about the bike but it can be replaced - just can't replace you. Here in Hawaii you see too many folks riding around in tank top, shorts and shower shoes and of course no helmet. I get some weird looks sometimes because I'm dressed out in leather and helmet. It's hot but I'm alot safer than they are when the unexpected happens...

Mike B.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

'm glad you're...well, mostly ok. could have been a lot worse! good thing you were wearing your gear! you can buy the best gear in the world, but, if you're not wearing it, it's still no good! i try to wear as much as i can all the time. i always wear a helmet and yes, i get those looks too! better safe than sorry.
as for the bike, well that's why we have insurance.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Really sorry to hear about your accident, Makes me think about getting some good gear sooner then later, Hope you feel better soon.

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Good testament to safty gear. Glad you are doing good.
The bike can be fixed or replaced, don't wory about that.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Thank the Good Lord above that your ok. Sorry about your bike and the abuse you took, I wish you well on a speedy recovery!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM

I'm glad you're OK man.
Like CC said, your bike can be replaced but not your life.
I wish you a fast recovery man....

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement