Am I getting a decent deal on this 1987 VN 750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Am I getting a decent deal on this 1987 VN 750?

Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I was a daily biking-commuter in india ( Royal Enfield Thunderbird! 350cc) and have logged about 7000 miles on my bike back in India.

I've been in Cincinnati for 2 years now, and I realized I missed riding motorcycles! I've taken my Ohio Licence & am looking forward to getting my first US Bike! And I love the VN 750! Its a beautiful bike, great seat height, and an advanced machine compared to other Cruisers in its class.

I have shortlisted a used 1989 VN 750 in a nearby showroom, that seems to be quite new & in good shape (6000 original miles, asking price $2,199)

I am really not good at judging the bike's value/price since its a completely different bike from what I'm used to. I thought it best to ask this question in an experienced forum, and that's how I found vn750.com!

1) Is $2200 a fair price for a 1989 VN750 bike, 6000 miles ?
2) Do I need to know anything before hand, or look out for something in particular?
3) Is it very safe to buy from motorcycle dealerships? Should I spend more time on Craigslist to find private sellers?
4) Is 1989 too old a bike to be used stock? Should I invest in a more recent, say 1998 bike?

I know this is a lot of unformatted thoughts, kindly pardon my ignorance on the bike. I would really appreciate any advice/word of caution you could give!

Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
Vishnu

PS : Pictures of my 350cc baby back home in India! I miss her a lot. Royal Enfield Thunderbird.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

these bikes were virtually unchanged from 86 to 06 so if you find an older one that is in decent shape you can usually get it cheaper than the newer ones and they run and ride the same i have an 86 that i have been riding for about 2 years and i love it i do all my repairs myself and most of the bike is now 96 and newer as far as parts go

i would say an 89 for 2200 is almost too good of a deal from a dealer you might want to ask for some background info on the bike and make sure it is reliable but if you just have to have that one it is a nice price and we here on vn750.com can help you with just about any aspect of repairs to this bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

The age wouldn't scare me a bit. The primary worry with any year VN bike would be the stator being bad although the '85 and '86 stators seem to be better quality than the later bikes. Replacing the stator is a lot of work on this bike. The balencers (deep inside the engine) could also be a concern but generally a '86 is as reliable as a '06.

Take a voltage meter and with the seat off crank her up and test the voltage at 3000 rpm. If it is under 13.5v pass on the bike. No guarantees on any used bike but if the stator shows good you've eliminated the major potential problem on the bike.

I would also feel better if with the bike on the center stand and you off it rev it up to 2500 and then 5000 rpm. it should vibrate some but if it vibrates so badly that it moves around the floor the balencers may be bad. With the bike obviously sitting so long (6000 mi in 27 years) the rubber balencers inside the engine could have dried out and cracked but at least you'll know they are still basically good.

$2200,,, I'd offer $1800 and be happy at $2000. $2200 isn't bad, especially if they'll give you a 15 day warrenty on the engine (engine/ stator only, the rest of these bikes is pretty solid) or the bike has a few extras like a luggage rack, windsheild, or saddlebags.

I paid $2700 for my '03 with 3000 miles and it is basically the same bike with the same potential problems. I love my VN750.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 01-27-2014 at 11:33 PM.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM

Seems high to me for the age, even with the miles (that's a lot of sitting around in 25 years). Craigslist here has an '03 with bags and a windshield for $2000, down from $2500. I forget the miles on it, but something around 12k, I think.

You'll always pay more at a dealer, cars or bikes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Visnuns, Gotta quick question. From what I understand all new members must post at least 5 times before they can add a picture. Your profile shows that this is your 1st post. How did you get around that requirement?

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

he probably posted five times then deleted four of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Looks like the '03 has aftermarket pipes and a crashbar too:

http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4261986823.html

I may have seen the mileage in the older ad, or this is a different bike, but this bike was $2500.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

I think I paid $2,400 for my '03 with 9,000 miles on it. I think they are asking a lot for a bike from the 80s or early 90s. Engine wear due to mileage is only one factor. I would be concerned about rust, frozen bolts, brittle wiring, gaskets, plastics, etc.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
Visnuns, Gotta quick question. From what I understand all new members must post at least 5 times before they can add a picture. Your profile shows that this is your 1st post. How did you get around that requirement?
Hi!

I did not circumvent the 5 post requirement! It said I could not post links/urls before 5 posts, but there was no restriction on the image embedding! Its kinda geeky awesome you'd ask that, thank you!

Wow, this is very humbling, thank you for the responses. I will definitely remember to take a voltmeter test this out.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Cool :) I honestly didnt do any such thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
he probably posted five times then deleted four of them
I honestly didnt do any such thing! Its true, I cannot post URLs, but I think image embedding is allowed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement