Longest ride in 1 day yet - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Smile Longest ride in 1 day yet

: yesterday I took off at about 650am to meet up with some guys from another local forum im on. After picking up about 16 people along the way we made our way thru back roads to a restaraunt to meet other riders who came from opposite direction. While there I noticed someone from other group han a vulcan so I had to check it out. One of the first questions I asked him was if he was a member here. He is. Hey Tybalt, nice to meet you. After eating we trook off and hit some more back roads, then I had to take it home. Got back home at about 745pm. Very long day just under 500 miles. Gotta say I feel 100 times better with yesterdays 500 and my tombstone backrest bag than I did in my last 300 miler with no back support. Man was it beautiful out yesterday, today too for that matter but I had to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Well done! Looks like you're aiming to be part of the Iron Butt Club!!!

C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
After I put my backrest and PlexfairIII I did a 500 mile day, I agree no problem.
I am heading to the gathering and it is 500 miles one way from my house to there.
That will be close to a 1500 mile trip if not longer I hope.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
500 Mile Club

I'm glad to hear about these positive long-haul experiences. I've been thinking about humping it in one day to my Mom's place in the U.P. of Michigan ~ about 500 miles. With an over-stuffed tail bag supporting my lower back, my Plexifairing III blocking the wind, and maybe a little extra padding under my butt, I think I can probably manage it! I can imagine the thrill of riding over the Mackinac Bridge!

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 07-02-2007 at 08:35 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Benjammin'

I find this post very interesting, but I have no idea what a "tombstone backrest bag" is. Can someone post a pic of what they have rigged up, or a link of where I can see this? The thought of making the long haul with suppport behind my back sounds fantastic!!!!

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
1992 Vulcan 750

Send a message via AIM to AGStrange
Tombstone Backrest Bag

I believe that they're referring to the Tombstone Backrest Bag at http://motorcycle-luggage.com/TombstoneBackrestBag/ .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
it is kinda obvious and probably not going to be news for anyone but i personally was very surprised how much difference those little thingies made - ear-plugs! it is times and times better with them on long ride. so much less fatigue

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:01 AM

I wanted to see how far I could get on a tank of gas. I didn't make it quite as far as 500. I left the house last friday night at 10:30pm. Stupid me didn't take any leathers. I thought, "I'll stick a flanel shirt in the bag in case I get cold." Man, I can be so stupid at times. About an hour into the ride from Omaha to Des Monies I was freezing. Thank goodness I have a windshield. I got to DM in just over 2 hours and made 144 miles on the tank at the reserve time. Fill up at the pump I could only get 2.8 gallons in it, so I figure, with .8 gallons left, I could have gone another 30-40 miles, but didn't want to press my luck. So I looked for a Walmart and bought gloves and a light jacket for the ride home. I was home before 5 am as I farted around DM for a while trying to warm up a bit. Round trip was about 300 in 7 hours of a great time. The ride back was so much nicer.

Now all I want on the bike is a cup holder for taking coffee with me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj Lee Screwed View Post

Now all I want on the bike is a cup holder for taking coffee with me.
Like this.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I have another thread on here about the backrest bag. Its too long for our bikes so I had to cut about 4 inches out of the hard liner. Preparing for this trip I realized it is better than I thought. My bike didnt come with the tool box cover so I can put anything in there. With the space in the actual bag I put my tools in the back(socket set, mini meter, wire cutters, 4 screw drivers, and some jumper wires) in the front I didnt put anything but next time ill put an extra shirt. On top of that I had 4 bottles of water inside the hard liner and I could have added 2 more or an ice pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement