Dies and doesnt want to turn over when it hot..... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Dies and doesnt want to turn over when it hot.....

Hi all, I'm new here. Posted a greeting on the newbie check in.

Tuesday I bought a 1986 vn750 with 20k miles on it. Short ride mostly practicing take offs on Thursday evening, and the same again Saturday morning. Saturday evening I took it out for my first ride for about 35 miles.

The bike seems to be acting like the battery is dead and drained when the bike is hot.

Unless my perception is messing with me over coincidences, the bike does not want to turn over well, if at all. But only when it's hot. It even backfired after yesterday's 35 mile ride when I tried to start it after it had died. After sitting for a couple hours it started turning over and cranking again. I've tried it several more times today. (cold each time) and each time it has turned over and with some finessing of the throttle it does start. It does SEEM to be getting a recharge when it's running or it shouldnt restart after it coos off. It has been a little stubborn to start since I bought it. I have read that is KINDA common with this bike and I'm sure the fact that it's 21 years old probably has a few factors attributing to the stubborn start. It's the problems that seem to come on after it gets hot that are concerning me. I'd hate to ride it somewhere and then break down stranded.

I have a friend who is a moto mechanic but he's aweful busy and has not had time to give the bike a look. Even when/ if he is able to come look at it. I dont want to burden him with a bunch of free labor trying to work on my bike. I'm hopeing he can look at it and recommend a few critical things I should be looking into gettign done. In time I'd like to learn the ins and outs of the bike and do most of the work myself. I have very little mechanical experience but I do somewhat understand the various functions of things like pistons, starters, plugs, tranny ect. I have a willingness and ability to learn. The bike did come with a 1995 edition Clymer service manual (M356)

I have read a lot fo the verses stuff and also threads on what to look for and do with a used 750 purchase as well as first maintainences for the used bike. All around fluid change, check valves, tune up, plugs, wires, battery ect. I have not yet performed any of those used mainainces but I will as funding provides.

Anyone have any idea why the bike seems to act funny sometimes? I have not ruled out that it could be just a weak battery, but I just dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
do you have a volt meter, if so check the voltage of the batt when running.
Should be 14volt with the RPM over 2000.
If not I would start checking the stator and R/R
Then if all is good replace the Batt with a Maint free one.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
replace the Batt with a Maint free one.
Along with that, make sure all the connections for the battery (including the frame ground wire) and to the solenoid & starter are clean & tight.

Hopefully it's just a weak battery issue

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ditto on what both of them said above. If the battery is bad, maybe a shorted couple of cells, it might take on some charge, but will be weak, and a bad battery can cause you all kinds of grief. Your starter could be dragging as well when it is hot. They pick up lots of oil spillage and road grime over the years. A dragging starter motor will certainly take it's toll on the battery, especially when the engine is hot.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Benjammin'

Cleaning your battery terminals and all the connections after that point are best bets for low-cost troubleshooting. I used sandpaper on all the terminal connections (all surfaces) to make sure they are good and clean.

As long as you have the battery disconnected, it may be a good idea to take it to a auto parts store where they can check it out for you. If you are told it is bad, do not buy one that is maitenance free! The recommended battery is a MF battery, or specificaly absorbable glass mat (AGM) to keep your bike happy. I believe all the information for batteries is in the verses.

Goo luck and keep us posted as to your progress! We are all here to help (some much more than me)

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkaggs513 View Post
If you are told it is bad, do not buy one that is maitenance free!
You went on to say buy one that is Maintenance Free, which is I know what you meant to say above! Yes, an MF battery is what you want to buy!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM

My bike acted the same when I bought it. I had the battery tested and was told it was no good, so I bought a MF battery and still had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the r/r going bad. It was find when the bike was cold, but when it warmed up it would stop charging.

If the battery doesn't work, check the voltage across the battery while the bike's warm and see what you're getting. If there's a problem you can check the verses for procedures for testing the stator and r/r.

Good luck.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
Mine ended up being a shot battery and a poor starter.

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
"My bike acted the same when I bought it. I had the battery tested and was told it was no good, so I bought a MF battery and still had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the r/r going bad. It was find when the bike was cold, but when it warmed up it would stop charging. BIG T"
I had the same problem i changed the battery to a MF battery and still had the problem. So after the final straw being stuck at a gas station for over an hour, I took the bike in. Well it was not the r/r (which i have relocated) or pick up coils. It was the starter, so if you have changed some stuff and it hasnt worked have your bike looked at to see if it was the starter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Benjammin'

Fergy,
Thanks for the catch. I meant to say do buy the maintenance free battery. (I was quickly typing this post at work, hiding from the boss).

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.