won't stay running - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

won't stay running

Here's the problem. I just rebuilt the bike due to a tranny problem. I did the earshave and reed valve delete. The carbs have been rejetted. Now,i charge up the bike and after a minute, it starts. The bike will run at idle for about five minutes and die. If I try to ride it, it sounds like it has no fuel or air and it dies and will not restart until i let it sit and recharge it. I have the stock battery, which I want to ride over and change because my car is down right now. I have no idea what the problem is. Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

ok, i don't think it's the electrical system. it keeps turning over, but won't start. it's like there is no fuel.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:42 PM

saying that you have to recharge the battery before it will start again says the battery is shot.....at idle it runs for a while then dies? stuck floats maybe??? what about vacuum lines?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Running for a few minutes at idle then dieing could be a symptom of a shot battery too. Our bikes won't run with a dead battery. I'd change the battery and then see how it goes from there.

It sounds too easy, but that may be all that it is.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 PM

I agree with changing the battery. My battery was pretty much shot and I tried to save a buck and only recharge it. Worked great for a very short time and then left me stuck on the side of the road. Dead battery will stop the bike...

Mike B.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM

flashback to my first ride on my bike.....agree with battery being the problem
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, it runs fine on reserve. i think it's the petcock
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It'd be curious if it were the petcock, only because the fuel feeds are linked to the same mechanism (just the reserve filter sits lower in the tank). This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but...wait, I have two dumb questions, but I ask both because any number of us have "been there, done that.:"

Dumb Question 1: Are you sure you've got the petcock turned to "on" when you're starting the bike? You can build up some fuel in the system and run it for a bit, but it will, predictably, die once that surplus is burned off. Have to ask, just to look for the easy stuff first.

Dumb Question 2: What are you voltage readings on the battery? If they're marginal, your battery will discharge itself and quit while idling. Our bike's charging systems don't kick in until about 2500 rpm - so if you've got a low reading to start with, and you're letting the bike idle at ~1100 rpm, it'll take out that last bit of voltage just sitting there. Take your readings cold, at idle, and at 5K rpm. Should be about 12.8, then slightly down ('cause you're discharging at idle), then back up to around 13-14 v at 5K rpm.

C
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I have been riding the bike for a while now with it on reserve. everything seems fine. when i turn it to on, it runs out of fuel and I have a full tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 AM

I would say disassemble & clean the petcock thoroughly, or spend $75 on a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement