MSF course... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

MSF course...

Whew, what an ordeal! 11 hours each day, yesterday and today. I'm beat, I don't even want to look at my bike. I'm all motorcycled out for a few days.

BTY, I passed, 3 classmates did not. They were VERY tough during the evaluation/testing phase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Great news Hiker !! Congrats on passing
And WOW, 11 hours a day, for 2 days !!?? That in itself is quite a test

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Congratulations!!!!......

That was easily the smartest move you (or any other biker) could make with your time, money and effort.

It will pay for itself time and again, later.

3 student washouts sounds about right. At least 2 washed out when I took the class.

Now ride about 6k to 10k miles and then take the MSF Experienced Rider Class.....

Last edited by theauhawk; 06-24-2007 at 09:57 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 AM

Indeed, MSF course was quite a meat grinder here in CO as well. Friday, 6-9:30PM, Saturday 7AM-9PM, sunday 7AM-7PM. Friday was theory only, saturday was theory till noon, then b.o.b. (butts on bikes). Sunday, first thing theory exam, then practice till ~5PM, then exams.

But to be honest, instructors were awesome - a work emergency had me up all night between sat and sun, so by the time ride exam came about sunday afternoon, I was so exhausted I simply refused to drive as fast as it was needed to meet timed objectives, not trusting my reflexes. Their response was to tell me to come back next saturday for more practice and retake the exam sunday, no additional fee... I was amazed and, of course, grateful.

Woot

Oh, and, congrats Hiker! I was pretty cocky about my riding skills before MSF class... and it was quite a humbling (and learning) experience. Well worth the time and money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Nice job Hiker, congrats!

Andro,
You got a lot more practice time than we did. We had the one night of class work, then a half day on the bikes and then more class work and the written test, then the next day did more drills, about 30 mins of practice, then we tested. I got exactly 2 times to practice doing the figure 8 in the box and it was the only thing I lost points on. I was disappointed, but the instructor said, what's more important- knowing how to brake and swerve, or ride in a box? I got the 2nd highest score in the class on the riding part. I think everyone who stuck with the course passed. We had 2-3 people drop out after the 1st riding day. A couple bike dumps will do that I guess!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

Yea, the freaking box! I hated that box. I was able to negotiate the left hand part without leaving the box, but always screwed up the right-hand part - left the box. Ughh. I also lost points on stopping distance, I felt like I was coming to screaming stop. Go figure. It was a learning experience for sure; especially the one rider/coach shouting: "Turn Your Freaking Head!" all day long.

Ha, I feel good now though. Went to motor vehicle yesterday and got the M endorsement to add to my many others. Only moped is missing I think.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I also took the course, I had a perfect score on the riding test and only missed one on the written(I filled in the wrong box).
I was happy.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Heh... my class was definitely fun...

First weekend, I got to practice on a nice little 250cc Suzuki... cruiser-style low rider, really low g-center, stable like an anvilll beauty. Then, I show up next weekend to re-do the test, and only bike available is some motocross-style thing higher than most horses I've ever seen. Just sitting on it felt like ballancing on a pin. Fortunately, I discovered that it gets excessively stable at higher speeds (higher in training course terms). End result? I aced practical test on it, simply because I was freaking out about falling over if I drove too slowly. And because of high G-center, counterweight steering in 8-box allowed for some crazy-tight turns. Last (but not least) I had to re-do emergency stop portion because I did the approach too fast, snapped the brake like a maniac, and actually stood the bike on the front wheel. For a moment, all I could think of was 'uh oh... I'm about to kiss the pavement' before bike slowly settled down as I eased on the brake.

Woot! I need to take that course again
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
1992 Vulcan 750

Send a message via AIM to AGStrange
How long should someone wait before considering the MSF Experienced Rider Course? If I remember my Basic Rider Course correctly, they said to wait about a year. But what if you don't ride until almost a year later? That's what's happened in my case, I got a motorcycle 10 months after the course. And, I've checked my county's offerings and they're not teaching the ERC for the rest of this year, anyway.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I would say about 500 to 600 mies, I think that was one of the requirments.
1 Year or 500 miles, I might be wrong but that sounds good.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement