finish on wheel - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

finish on wheel

Does anyone know of a way to remove the black finish on early model 750 wheels? I have an 04 with the natural, or silver finish but just hit a rock in the road and bent it. I found a complete wheel with tire brakes and all for 40 bucks to get me back on the road but it's black. I have a guy who says he can powder coat it for me but I was wondering of any other options..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
You could have it blasted and clear coated.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM

You could also get some air plain striper from your local auto store. That stuff cuts everything. A little messy to work with but, it is awesome.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:23 AM

I just posted the same ? a couple of weeks ago. I used aircraft paint stripper as piromedix suggested and used a couple of brass brushes. I used the aresol spray ($4.75) instead of the can/jug ($8.00). It works great but be careful not to come in contact with your skin! It's nasty-nasty stuff and will BURN YOU! Regular paint stripper will not work--I tried.

GET YOURSELF SOME HEAVY RUBBERIZED GLOVES!!!!!!!!

I used latex gloves and that sh*t ate em' up like candy within minutes, and when it comes in contact with your skin it feels cool for a few seconds then starts to burn after about a minute. I had some nasty chemical burns on three of my right fingers for several days. It didn't hurt after cleaning them up, just felt funny for a day or so (it ate several layers of skin--I barely had fingerprints left!) but then they were severely cracking all to hell after the second day. I was rubbing 100% aloe on them about 20 times a day.

You'll need a 6mm allen wrench or socket to remove the rotors. Keep a water hose nearby just in case and don't wash the rim off in your grass! You will not have any grass left in the area you washed your rim off in a day or two afterwards. Also keep in mind when using a brush and scrubbing the rim--it will splatter (don't wear shorts) so be prepared. I took my clothes off and washed them immediately after working with this stuff so none of it would be able to harm my 3 yr. old daughter if she made contact with any of my clothing that might of had some on it. I cleaned the brushes up and rolled them in some paper towel and tossed them in the trash.

I don't have sensitive skin and always use carb and brake cleaner as well as many other chemicals without gloves and never have any problems. I was a mechanic for many years and used chemicals all the time without gloves--but this stuff will have you running for the nearest water supply within a minute if you come in contact with it. God help you if you have sensitive skin and get any on you.

Last edited by racohoon; 06-24-2007 at 03:32 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:29 AM
85 VN 700

I'll second piro's recommendation.

Airplane stripper made by kleen-strip. Get the stuff that says it doesn't meet such and such regulations (not the low odor stuff). I've never used the low odor stuff but would imagine it doesn't work nearly as well.

Your local autobody shop should have (and use) the stuff. Just make sure to wear eye protection when ya use the stuff. And USE IT OUTSIDE not in the garage... you'll be getting high even outside but the stuff works - and well.

Yeah... what he said^^^ I'm dumb and don't wear gloves with the stuff - definitely recommend ya do - but I keep the hose handy to wash off any dribbles (I have pretty tough skin)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Great, thanks everyone. now the next bright question is the tire is on the rim, can it stay on?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM
2FAS4U

You can get aircraft stripper in most parts stores. I would remove the tire, and protect the bearings in some way. It will probably effect rubber.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Aircraft Mechanic here. It will eat rubber like Fat Albert on a Hot dog!!!!!!!! If any of you have had this stuff contact a tire......CHANGE THE TIRE IMEADIATLY!!!!!!! You may not be able to see the results but the tire compound is, and will continue, to break down. Try using a product called Blister, It does what the name says and all you need is a broom and dust pan to clean it up. Plus it is an aerosol so it is very easy to use. I stripped a tank in about ten minutes Without having to touch the tank what so ever.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post
n. Try using a product called Blister,
Any more info on the product? Manufacturer, where it can be purchased, what it costs? Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 AM

I actually stripped mine after removing the tire since I was replacing it with a new one. Never seen or heard of "blister"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement