Centerstand lessons learned - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Centerstand lessons learned

The man we bought our Vulcan 750 from put aftermarket pipes on it. To do so, he removed the centerstand and told me he was not strong enough to get the spring back on it. He gave us all the parts for it.

I'm a 250 pound former Marine (although an old one) so imagine my surprise when I couldn't stretch the retaining spring enough to mount it on the stand peg. I finally got it mounted by using a coat hanger.

I stretched the hanger out and engaged one end of the loop in one end of the spring, the other end of the spring being mounted on the fixed peg. I ran a shovel handle through the other end of the coat hanger and also through the back wheel, using a spoke as a lever. This gave me the purchase to stretch the spring with my right arm while positioning it with my left. When I released the tension on the coat hanger, the spring grip was so tight, I had to cut the hanger to get it out from under the spring.

My next problem was that I could not get the bike up on the centerstand, no matter how hard I tried. A friend with a lot of motorcycle experience showed me how to stand on the left side of the bike, grip the seat support or the luggae rack with my right haqnd and rock the bike back on the centerstand while holding it down with my right foot. Technique wins out over brute force.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Be Well,

Scarface48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface48 View Post
My next problem was that I could not get the bike up on the centerstand, no matter how hard I tried. A friend with a lot of motorcycle experience showed me how to stand on the left side of the bike, grip the seat support or the luggae rack with my right haqnd and rock the bike back on the centerstand while holding it down with my right foot. Technique wins out over brute force.
This is key.

When i first started trying to get the bike on the center stand it required me to borrow an extra set of hands . . . until i took it to the shop and saw just how effortlessly a wrench there was able to do it. One foot with weight on the stand knob, one arm under the rear seat and one steadying the handlebars, rock it back.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM

I thought that my spring was weak causing the center stand to rattle against the goat's belly a while back. Getting the spring back on was a chore, to say the least. I go 250 too and I thought I could manhandle it....wrong. I ended up using two long screwdrivers and a little luck to get it back on.

Getting the bike on the center stand was tough for me at first, but once you do it once, you've got it.

Welcome to the group and congrats on getting a great bike. What kind of pipes are on the bike? I'm looking at the Jardines, but I haven't been able to convince the finance manager that I need them yet. I think the center stand spring was easier.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have not worked on the center stand yet but I would think an old fashioned set of brake pliers would stretch the spring on.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 AM

Yes, brake pliers will do the job. My bike has been lowered, and the PO took off the centerstand, but I put it back on (she had kept it), and I found out why she took it off. Due to the lowering, it's almost impossible to put down the center stand single handed, I usually need help with it. I have found a trick that works for when I'm at home, and putting it on the centerstand for whatever, I keep a short length of 2x4 (about 3' long) handy, and I roll the rear wheel up onto it before putting down the centerstand. Once I've done this, it's really easy to get it up on the centerstand (I would imagine what it would be like to put a non-lowered bike on it).

-MikeS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Hi BigT,

The service guy at the K shop nearby said they were slipons, with fixed baffles. I have not seen a name on them so i really can't tell. They sound somewhat tinny to me. The service guy said they weren't too loud. I guess I need to do the marble procedure, as the bike backfires when I come off the throttle.
My finance manager hasn't decided yet whether new pipes are required. I have heard somewhere that Harley mufflers are plentiful and cheap, since most Harley people put on loud pipes. I believe my headers are 1 3/4 inch, so anything in that size should be capable of being modified to fit the 750.

Be Well,

Scarface48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement